• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HJC Helmet Shape

MICHIGANMIKE

MichiganMike
Just a quick question, is the HJC Helmet considered a round or an oval shape?
I have been wearing the Nolan models and they are definitely oval in shape.

Thanks in advance.:bikes

Most HJCs are roundish. I found out the hard way by wearing a Sy-Max II on my long-oval noggin. Now I wear an Arai Profile and I'm happy with the fit.

Here's a good resource on helmet shapes. WebBikeWorld Helmet Shapes

I found the HJC CL-16 fits me and falls into the 'slightly round' category based on the webbikeworld internal helmet shapes. I tried the Scorpion EXO-400 (which has the same classification as the HJC CL-16) - and it fit poorly. It would be useful to know more about how the webbikeworld folks came up with that sorting and if one can measure how round or oval ones head is?

Certainly, one can measure the size (i.e. small, large, etc) with a tape measure. It seems in this modern age that a profile or frontal photograph (along with some computations via software) should be able to determine one's head shape - rather than using trial and error with various helmets. Maybe we are just not there yet.

Head Test Try On Best Way

I ended up getting a HJC IS Max Modular helmet. This will be my first non-Nolan in 14 years. I actually tried the helmet on before purchase as that is the only best way to see. I did see in the Webbike study that the helmet falls in the same category as the Nolan I was looking to replace. For some reason I seem to be hard on Helmets and have had a total of five in that 14 year period. Not from crashes, but from riding quite a bit and in all kinds of weather. So in six months I will give a gear update on how well I really like this one.:dance

Call HJC and they will tell you what the helmet shapes are. You cannot find it on their site. I was told that the Symax was for more oval shapes and the IS is for more round shaped heads by the source. I still have a SYMAX-1 and I need to try on the SYMAX-3 before I buy one, but can't find one locally.

Back