• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires for R75/5

JAGWILLIE

Does anyone have a preference in tires for an R75/5 swb? I just got the bike and it's going to need tires.
thanks,
Bill Bassett

Bill -

Many tire threads in the past 6-9 months...they always come up. I recommend that you focus on a good tire in the inch-size category as the owner's manual says. Tires are out there that will make it ride and perform well. Use the Search This Forum link at the top right of the Airhead forum and type in names of the manufacturers - Avon, Metzeler, Bridgestone, Continental - then read those posts and see what others have said.

Here's a few to get you started. But remember, the R75/5 series is a 40 year old machine. It was originally fitted with Continentals (3.25x19 front (RB2) and 4.00x18 rear (K112). Nothing manufactured today (other than the Continental (still in production) is a "true" fit. That said a lot of tires will work.

I have Bridgestone S11 on my LWB /5. Holding up reasonably well, but I would be getting better mileage out of them if I spent more time at 40??+ lean angles. Which is to say, they stick like crazy, and are confidence inspiring in the twisties, but do seem to be wearing prematurely on the slab.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=45664&highlight=/5+tires

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=59902&highlight=/5+tires

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=58970&highlight=/5+tires

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=57257&highlight=/5+tires

Last week I had Michelin Pilot Activ tires mounted on my 1978 R80/7. They are available in the inch size: 18 x 4.00 on the back and a 19 x 3.25 on the front. I did 300 miles the last few days and like these very much and I bet they go for a while. Through Dennis Kirk they were only about $180 for the set!
Nick Kennedy
1978 R80/7
1990 K75 RT

correct fit is Dunlop K70 readily available 4.00x18rear 3.25x19front

Avail many places inc Motorcycle Superstore online

Thanks Guys,
I appreciate the input. I don't think there is much chance of me scuffing up the mirrors. I think "ll go with the Michelin Act, I got some of those for another bike.
Bill

Here's a few to get you started. But remember, the R75/5 series is a 40 year old machine. It was originally fitted with Continentals (3.25x19 front (RB2) and 4.00x18 rear (K112). Nothing manufactured today (other than the Continental (still in production) is a "true" fit. That said a lot of tires will work.

The early /5 models were shod as well with Metzeler Rille (front) and the C Block (rear).I don't think anyone bought them twice.

Woodgrain

One word : METZELER

My 1985 came to me with Pirelli Sport Demons mounted, for the life of me i don't understand sport tires on an old nail like this. The bike handled poorly and tracked even worse.

I went with a Lazer Tech on the front and a standard Metzeler on the rear. The bike rides better, tracks smoothly as it should.

If i could have found Metzeler ME880 Marathons in the proper size i would have mounted them and probably ridden 30,000 miles without a thought about tires.

Back