• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Waterproof Gloves?

I just returned from a trip through the NW which took me through days of hard rain. My rain suit worked well, but the performance of my gloves and boots (treated with the waterproofing goop sold through Aerostich) was less stellar. I have a pair of boot covers picked out, but need your advice regarding gloves. Any practical information would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Forum.

There are lots of threads on this. Click on the "search" word above, and then on "advanced search". In the left box, type in "waterproof gloves", on the right side, click on the word "gear". Then click on "search".

But I suggest Aerostich Triple Digit Glovecovers.

BMW Pro Summer Gloves are outstanding. They are the first "waterproof" motorcycle gloves I have found that perform as advertised.

What model Gerbings? The maker says the G3 is not and says to add waterproofing which of course is not adequate in truly heavy rain.
For colder weather the Trple Digit uninsulated covers from Aerostich are OK but they don't breathe and will sweat your hands to death in hot humid weather.

I haven't tested my set of BMW Pro Summer gloves yet but they appear to address one of the key failings of many so called waterproof gloves- a liner that won't work with damp or wet hands. And they're GoreTex, as good as it gets..

For myself, when its really hot I don't really care if the gloves are weaterproof as long as they dry fast and don't bleed much. Held Steves, my usual mid temp touring glove, fit that bill OK. The BMW Air summer gloves I also use don't dry as well.

No matter how hot it gets I won't ride barehanded. A spill on unprotected waterlogged hands would shred them a lot worse than if dry...

Don't forget grip shields like those on the GS if you ride in the wet a lot.
they help a bunch and extend the lower temp range of thin gloves by about 10 degrees also. The S-7 model fits the RT and I made an adapter to fit the same items to a friends R1100S for cold weather touring.
Hippo Hands and the similar Wunderlich item are another possibility but an acquired taste.

Large/X-large dishwashing gloves: about $3. Slip 'em right over your riding gloves and you are dry and protected. A little baby or Anti Monkey Butt powder inside the dishwashing gloves makes the on and off lots easier. Look for gloves with a textured palm for grip and a flocked interior for comfort. Aerostich sells them but you'll find them locally, too.

pete

I got a pair of RS Taichi, they are insulated and the the best gloves I have ever worn for warmth with actual protection for a fall, worn down to 30 on rides. Also great water protection. Just one note about any glove, TUCK THEM IN! once the water runs down your sleeve into the glove it's over and the waterproofing works wrong way when glove is full. Those funny looks you get on road riding in downpours get even funnier when you dump out your gloves.

Anyone have experience with the Atlantis 3 gloves? I've been thinking about purchasing a pair for wet riding but they seem too new to have many comments on this and other forums.

TIA,

I have a BMW winter glove, that I used today in British Columbia and where it was pouring rain. It's fairly lightweight not too bulky totally waterproof a
nd has a little wiper rubber on the left finger for cleaning off the visor. Works really well. highly recommend

But I suggest Aerostich Triple Digit Glovecovers.
+2 :thumb

I have both the light and the insulated versions. After about 7 years, I applied ScotchGard to the thin ones to restore their waterpoofness, when I started noting some occassional leakage.

They pack small so they can be stashed anywhere on the bike. That lets me wear whatever regular glove I want to wear that day, with one overglove that makes them all waterproof. They'll be on the bike heading to Sedalia.

Held gloves

I recently purchased a pair of Held gloves with the Cold Black fabric. Rode through my first rain storm yesterday and was dry as could be. This is my first pair of what I consider expensive gloves but now that they are broken in they are by far the most comfortable I have ever worn and the cold black does keep them cooler.

I recently purchased a pair of Held gloves with the Cold Black fabric. Rode through my first rain storm yesterday and was dry as could be. This is my first pair of what I consider expensive gloves but now that they are broken in they are by far the most comfortable I have ever worn and the cold black does keep them cooler.

Mark, I saw those recently. Do you think those would be a good west coast winter glove with heated liners in them? Are they wind proof? I really don't need a "winter glove".

I have the Summer Pro gloves as well. They are very very good at keeping your hands dry. They're quite warm for summer use here in SWFL, but easily the best I've had so far, and the first gloves I have ever had that lasted more than 1 season.

Back