• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michelin Pilot Activ Tires

nickrides

Nick Kennedy
Hi Gents
While mounting some new Michelin Pilot Activ tires on my 1978 R80/7 my tire man commented that those tires are so stiff the there would be no way for me to ever take them off out on the road to fix a flat. And watching him mount them I believe him.
Question: If I got, say nail or screw flat is there any practical way to plug a tube tire or use a can of Fix a flat if I was really stuck in the boonies? Is it worth a try?
Nick Kennedy

I hadn't heard that the Michelin Activ are any stiffer than your average tubeless tire...they're basically all a bear to get off on the two-shock bikes. Tubeless tires have beads that are very stout and don't slip over the rim very easily. It takes lots of practice and the right tools, namely bigger/better tire irons than come with the kit. I recently had an Activ put on the front...seems OK but no experience with fixing it.

While I think I know how to fix a flat and could do it, it would probably take me most of a day and filling the air with most of the expletives one could imagine. My first choice would likely be to check the Anonymous or dAirectory...after that, I'd be looking for the nearest motorcycle shop and whip out the credit card.

Depending on the amount of the leak and the location, something like a fix-a-flat might let you limp to a better location with more options.

Anyone have success squirting fix-a-flat into a tube? Always carry a can, but have never used it. Suppose it would make a huge slimey mess?

Anyone have success squirting fix-a-flat into a tube? Always carry a can, but have never used it. Suppose it would make a huge slimey mess?

Yes, I had a can get me home, about 25 miles, and tire had some left. But it went flat by morning. Not such a big mess.
Used green slime for a not so slow front tire leak, which it did fix. It is water soluble for cleanup.

Still available are fairly flexible, tube-type tires, but for the most part you'll have to import them. The days of Airheads are numbered.

Thanks for the input guys.
I do find myself riding in area's in SW Colorado and SE Utah that are cell phone challenged and very little traffic. The last set of tires on my1978 R80 were Continental GoContis; These are very soft and flexible, The rear only went 2200 miles BTW. I'm certain I could have levered those off by hand.
These Michelins I have on now are a completely animal. No way could I get those off for a roadside flat fix. So I may throw in a can of fix a flat, some Slime, and see what happens if I get a flat and have no cell service. I would just be looking to limp into the next town and find a motel.
BTW those new Michelins are Sweet!
Nick Kennedy

I used fix a flat once in a tubed tire and it got me about 5 miles. At least I was able to park it in a safe place while I got a new tube.

I run the Michelin Lazer Tech tire on my RS and have replaced tubes on the road with no problem getting them off of the rims with the standard tire irons in the tool kit and a couple of cans of CO2 to air them back up. I always carry a spare front tube (19") as that will also fit in the rear tire if needed. The hardest part is getting the rear wheel off of the bike with the luggage racks on.

It is called "Slime", and danged if it doesn't work great for plugging tubes on everything from BMW's to Cushmans and every kind of lawn tractor in between here in South Texas. It is sold at WallySmart and anyone within 1500 feet of a mesquite tree has lifetime supply of it in my part of the state. Just make sure that you get it out of your tire in a timely manner as it seems to corrode aluminum after and extended period. They sell a nifty little repair kit on Amazon.com as well. Have faith.

Back