• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tools needed for removal of front wheel 2011 r1200rt

galaxie

what tools do I need for the removal of the front wheel on a 2011 r1200rt,I am getting new tires.I can find a video on the rear tire but not the front,

Just a little adapter. It's a tool that fits many different front wheels. Let me get a link.
http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Axle_Tool.htm
Well, here is the Parnes tool. I do not use it. It is just an example. Why do I not use it?
You can't torque it. I torque everything. Also it is not reversible. With reversible, you use the other end on other bikes.
Hayabusa, F800, etc.
dc

Tool kit?

I don't think I call it that! Also brake calipres must come loose to clear wheel from them. Its a tool kit but in its lowest form. Most all of us carry more, chosen tools to our liking:). Randy:thumb

Should be what you need in bike tool kit. Check the owners manual.

Alas, those days in BMW-land are gone. The bean-counters undoubtedly like the tool "kit" in my R12R, but as a useful adjunct for taking care of the machine, it is woefully incomplete. :(

First thing I did was collect a few Torx bits and other stuff so I could get the wheels off. I made this axle tool from an extra 3/8" socket and a pipe coupling:

Attachments

• DSCN0427.jpg
    DSCN0427.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 181
You need a decent set of Torx bits (socket type) to remove the calipers and loosen the pinch bolts. The end of the axle is a 22mm female hex. It thus takes a 22mm male driver. Motion Pro and others sell such axle tools. Mine is a 22mm on one end with a 17mm male on the other end which takes a 17mm socket. It is also cross drilled so it will take a cross handle if that's what you want to use.

maacova
Surprise to me the owners manual, or glove box book does mention tool kit. However, the service tool kit is an optional purchase from the dealer and does not come with the bike.
And, take a guess at the price on it.
dc

I have the Marc Parnes tool, it is great, and a 22mm socket fits as well.

The RT front fender beak also has to come off unless you get the front up pretty high on a bike lift. I only put a small jack under the motor because I don't like to lift wheels much.
That's 4, T-25's fom underneath and then spreading it. Its got a keyed slot at the rear also.

While you've got the wheel off clean around the axle seals and put a very light grease film on theaxle to help retard corrosion when you put it back. Keep threads dry and clean. Be sure to note spacer direction/side so it goes back correctly.

Back