• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What a year

miairhead

Michigan has more 90+ days for the next week. How hot is it going to be in MO for the rally. I already decided because of recent operation, riding 700 miles is out.
The heat will make rally seem like a experiment in survival.

Hey, I know!

I'm trying hard to find my way there too. I am recent, with fractured neck injury but still able to ride. My worries is heat too, as I was there last year in PA. with all that heat and I was healthy. Actually, my bike is much more comfy than anything else I drive, regarding my neck. Just that cross country heat has me flustered. I am 1700m. away and wanting to go bad. Another week+ to figure it out! Best to ya, Randy:thumb

Compared to?

You don't know heat until you've been in the middle of MO in the middle of July.

Bring lots if athletes foot cream, anti monkey butt powder, bug repellant and sun screen. People used to live without any of these, we are all soft now. I like soft. A tent fan will be worth its weight in gold. Check for ticks daily. You should plan for several sock and underwear changes a day, your toes and boys will thank you.

If you do not know what chiggers are, trust me you want Deet stuff. If you do get chiggers, they make itch pens with ammonia, that kills the little parasite. Hurts so good.

And we love it here. Wisconsin is tool cold, and Mississippi is too hot. Missouri is just right. That is why we call it the State of Misery:D For you folks from Mississippi, etc,
bring a light jacket, sometimes it gets all the way down to the high 70's in the morning.

Sweat is good.

Rod

Ride early in the day.

Hunker down in A/C in the hot afternoons.

And ride late.

But watch out for those pesky deer and other rodents in the dark.

See you all soon!

Voni
sMiling

What they all said. I live in Arkansas so it's pretty close to the same. I'm riding the bike for the next 2 weeks to get aclimated to the heat. Yep ticks were bad at the beginning of the year but seems to have subsided some. Ain't had the red bugs yet and a bottle of cheap fingernail polish kills the little buggars quickern anything on the store shelf.Tent fan? what the heck is that? Come on pack your stuff ride to Mo and have a good time. And I'm sure there will be a creek we can go sit in when it gets real hot in the afternoon.

Tent ceiling fan:)

I been figuring on a tiny ceiling fan for my tent! Wonder how small they make'em? I figure the cord out later. Naw, those little rubber bladed, fold up mini fans are all over in WalMart and the like, but 7000+BMW campers WILL get'em all in Sedalia, so better bring yours:). I am not sure how long the batteries last? Chiggers, have not heard of them since my S.C. and VA. days...Hope the Sedalia Fairgrounds are Chigger proof! Randy

Don't. Wear. Cotton. It holds your sweat and keeps you hot. Go with polypro or other wicking materials. This includes underwear.

Wear a hat: Not a baseball hat, but a big floppy hat that will cover your head and neck. The most common location for men to get skin cancer is on the top of their ears.

Alternative: A parasol works great. We carry a collapsible one that we can use when we get stuck at construction sites. Tina can reach it, open it and give us some instant shade.

Be sure to hydrate: 2 liters per person per day should keep your body's ability to sweat and cool you working well. If you ride with mesh, you'll be blowing moisture off your body, which will need to be replaced. You don't need sports drinks, you just need water. If you've been exerting yourself a pinch of sea salt will add those electrolytes and won't add any taste to the water.

Voni's got it right: ride early, hide in the afternoon. We like to shower before dinner and avoid the lines there, too. A nice shower at 3 or 4pm makes you feel much cooler and you won't be all funky at dinner.

I won't be at the rally, but hope to see some of you in Paonia in a couple weeks. We expect to see some serious heat on the way.

I like rain, vs heat:)

Maybe it will cool some, if it rains each day just a little. It really works out West in dry climates, having a storm pass by. I wonder IF the rain will help in MO., maybe too much humidity to cool? Just no monster storms please! My Weather Channel shows that area RED on their map frequently, as most all the Midwest gets those about every week this time of year. We've had some practice at many previous rallies, having tents blown about storms nearby. My best tent makes this journey, it rarely moves about on its own:). Randy:thumb

The Johnson City Rally we took no rain gear and no warm clothing. We got into a storm outside Memphis and rode in it most of the night. there were record cold temps set. We didn't have dry feet for 3 days. We froze our butts off and camped in a wal mart parking lot.......It was one of the most fun trips we have ever had....

Wow;

That one sounds like a real adventure. Never having camped at a WalMart, but seen many RVs doing it. WalMart seems to welcome it:). I can't imagine freezing in July in Tennessee. Randy

How 'bout if we trade?

I have a couple hundred acres in corn, a couple hundred in beans, pasture that is burning up and ponds drying up. We need the rains, so bring them on! But during the Rally, in moderation and at night. :)

That is NOT good - the dryness you've got going on, that is. Tell you what. You can have some of our rain and we'll take some of your dry. Just don't want the rain during rally week. Deal? :D

Rapunzel

Some are taking a real hit because of this hot, dry spell. But, if the rains could hold off and the heat could stay around till after the Rally, folks might stop complaining how hot it was in Bloomsburg. :laugh

This is like deja vu. I really would like to go but I ride for fun and not for misery. It'll be a last second decision. Last year I decided not to go and I was happy with my decision.

:scratch .... we must be nuts! '92 K1100.... two up..... about 2,300 miles....SS1000 to rally....on the cusp of being senior citizens..... camping on site.... is there some sort of special award for the mere survival nature of such a venture? - Bob

Back