• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

your track day experience?

the Wizard of Oz
I've decided to sign up for the Motoworks Chicago Track day at Gingerman in MI. (assuming there's a space available) w my R1100RT.

I've been thru CLASS many years ago, and more recently thru Total Rider Tech. TRT really altered the way I ride, gave me much more confidence cornering and getting off the seat etc. I think any unbiased observer would still call me "slow."

What's your experience with track days??

What's your experience with track days??

Most fun you can have on your bike, with your clothes on.

Track days are a lot of fun and very exhausting, but will without a doubt make you a better rider. I have done 50+ with my R11S, despite also owning a dedicated track bike. It was always more fun to go spank some body, 1/2 my age with a street bike with the saddle bag mounts still attached:)

ATGATT or Not

Most fun you can have on your bike, with your clothes on.

I agree that a track day is something that every speed freak or knee dragger wannabe should do (both describe me - especially the "wannabe" part). But what's got me really intrigued now is learning what's the most fun you've had on a motorcycle with your clothes off?

Kent
:)

). But what's got me really intrigued now is learning what's the most fun you've had on a motorcycle with your clothes off?

the usual:brow

You can pack lighter that way:D

You guys are going to ge me in trouble!:brow

Attachments

• Oldies2.jpg
    Oldies2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 65
VIR Track Day 04-05 July - Link

To Just Ridin' forum

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=797860#post797860

I have done 5 now, and each one has improved my riding lots. The biggest thing you'll notice is that you have more subjective time available when something bad happens on the street. It is hard to quantify, but pucker factor is lower, decisions come faster, you can dodge the dog, etc.
If you have been to training, go for it - open days are a bit hairier, though.

Depending on your track experience level pick very carefully. What folks generically call "track days" can range from well conducted professional track schools (CLASS, STAR, etc) to unsupervised, uncoached free-for-alls put on by some club somewhere.

I have attended a half-dozen or so of the first type. I will never attend the second type.

Track Days

Paul: I bought a set of "those" as a super bargain this year and have been to one. Yes, not nearly as good/safe as CLASS, etc. You have to watch out a lot more and don't expect any professional coaching. 3 downed bikes by lunch time and one I couldn't even figure out how/why it happened. The other 2 were in A group and going hellbent. Still...it's a track...and they are sparse in my neck of the woods. I use what I learn from my CLASS instructors and books I am reading, work on things, avoid yahoos, and don't worry about passing, etc. :p

Since you've been to one- what's the deal with painter's tape over everything? I get if it's to protect lenses from debris, but I see it just covering portions of some lenses. Or is it to reduce drag or undesireable air entering cavities where it might have unfavorable effects due to the speeds involved??

Am I getting this straight? A trackday...as in take your bike to a racetrack and ride at the fastest pace possible; only dictated by your fear of laying the bike down.....on an R1100RT?!

I just got rid of my R1100RT. Never in 1000 years could I have ever imagined taking it to a trackday. Maybe I'm missing something here. Kind of compares to driving an SUV at Spa.

Just my completely humble opinion, but if this is an actual trackday I would think you would have way more fun borrowing something smaller and nimbler. Heck, you can have the time of your life on a 250 Ninja. Or find an EX500 for a grand, tape it up and hit the trackday, then come home and sell it for a grand.

Like I said, my humble opinion. But if you do take it, please hook a GoPro up because I would love to see this.

Well: on my first 2 track days, folks on R1200RT's were blasting past me while I was riding my Suzuki TL1000S crawtch racket - yes, it's the rider....:brad

The tape is there to keep the glass together if it breaks - if you do a good job taping up your bike, it doesn't look too bad. Depending upon the track/organization, you have to tape your lights, remove and / or tape blinkers, remove mirrors (no looking back, you are responsible for what's in front of you). Some tracks require special antifreeze, all of them usually require lighting disconnected, especially brakelights since they are a distraction. Some require safety wiring, and that's why I haven't been to Mid-Ohio yet...

The pace is yours, just choose B or C group and you should definitely start out slow, learn the track, and very gradually kick it up. Prior training helps a LOT. Recommend picking up a copy of Roadracing World's TrackDay Directory - lots of tips for beginners, this magazine really helped me start out w/o honking off a lot of more experienced people on the track and in the pit with me.

geez I hope you can forgive me. i'm immediately buying a new bike. just tell me what kind. i can't believe I almost rode my bike at a track day. pfew. and i'll be sure and purchase that other thing you suggested. IDK exactly what it is. ....maybe it's a reverse proctoscope.

I swear I'm not trying to be a jackwagon, just the thought of hustling an RT around a racetrack has me a bit perplexed.

Note: I sincerely apologize....I just watched the video of the 2011 Motoworks trackday and I never knew something like this existed for all types of machinery. I guess I'm used to more specialized trackdays, but this actually looked pretty cool.

The saying goes that you die if you ever quit learning; well I learned something today.

Heck, I might just tape up my 1100RS and give it a go (but I'd be scared sh^&less that I would dump the thing!)

Have a blast!!

I aplologize

you know even before I've finished reading all of your reply I'd like to apologize. that was rude of me and I really hope you'll accept it. i've thought about my reply to you and i regret it.

i did read your first couple of lines and i appreciate it. ride safe.

regards,
gene

if you're ever in Chicago I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

now I'm gonna read the rest

for real now

here's why I'm riding my RT on a track day. It's the bike I ride. ... and i'd like to enjoy travelling in the mountains and twisties even more than I currently do.

There is a fair bit of support, training and camaraderie provided by the great team at Motoworks Chicago.

I've had this machine or one just like it across the country a couple times, used it as a daily commuter thru the Hollywood Hills, been to Total Rider Tech, not to mention Monitor Pass, and The (famous) Dragon. I've split lanes following two CHP's on R1100RT's on the 405 (try this one. )
and trust me it's more agile than you imagine. You reallly oughtta try one. Seriously.

It's always struck me that it's almost always the rider, not the machine. Put another way; the machine is more capable than I.

I've got all the bike I can afford right now. But I can afford to improve the rider.

and I just thought of this one. i'm gonna take a few laps with my bags, which will be kinda loaded for the over-night, ON. Tank bag, side bags, top case. I don't want my fun-osity to decrease just because I'm out on the road. Au contraire!I want to beat the kids on sportbikes.

Fromage on, bra!

Last edited:
and I just thought of this one. i'm gonna take a few laps with my bags, which will be kinda loaded for the over-night, ON. Tank bag, side bags, top case. I don't want my fun-osity to decrease just because I'm out on the road. Au contraire!I want to beat the kids on sportbikes.

Fromage on, bra!

One of my bikes is an R1150R equipped with Jesse luggage - side cases and top case. Just for grins, at the first on-track session at one of Jason Pridmore's STAR school I left the luggage on the bike. I got some very strange looks from other folks as I headed out and rode several laps around the track. I took the luggage off for later sessions, though.

26667, I appreciate the kind response, but the blame falls squarely on me.

I tend to spend way too much time over at the WERA roadracing forum. Over there, we dispense unsolicited opinions on matters that are none of our business like so much candy given away on Halloween. It's almost an art form. I forget that the BMW crowd is a bit kinder and gentler.

I think that it is great that you want to push the bike that you ride everyday to it's limit. If more people did this I believe accident rates would plummet. I get caught up on total speed and lap times when actually competent riding ability with your primary bike is key.

Seriously, I hope you have the time of your life. And if you do find it addicting, pick up an old track bike and come hang out with us Vintage guys .

I'll bring the beer:beer

deal

deal!

and PS my wife, who hasn't ridden since she got preggers 13 years ago, wants the Monster 620/96

I took my 2005 RT to Reg Pridmore's CLASS. Had a GREAT time & learned a lot about riding it. scraped pegs in a few corners at Infineon. Learned that the limits were way further away than I thought, learned that nearing those limits was progressive, I could feel it moving around a bit as I got faster, it was a very positive experience. Got passed a bunch in "B", but passed a few people myself. The RT is a very capable bike.

Back