• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

15W-50 instead of 10W-40?

I gotta call BS on that one. 25 years in car dealership shops and I've never even heard mention of a viscosity checker, let alone used one. :scratch

I have seen the factory fill oil have a UV additive so they can tell if it had the initial oil change. I have also seen factory oil filters that are different than any on the market for the same reason. And I have known of the factory to request a sample of the oil, and also fuel in the case of diesels, for analysis.

So this does happen.

Best to use the right stuff

Rod

I have seen the factory fill oil have a UV additive so they can tell if it had the initial oil change. I have also seen factory oil filters that are different than any on the market for the same reason. And I have known of the factory to request a sample of the oil, and also fuel in the case of diesels, for analysis.

So this does happen.

Best to use the right stuff

Rod

requesting an oil sample, and having a UV additive added at the factory are still quite a ways off from a "viscosity checker" (if such a thing even exists at the repair shop level of operation).
i'm still awaiting some kind of factual confirmation before i take that original "viscosity checker- believe it" statement off of the BS pile.

I think if you do a search on the internet you will find that there really are viscosity checkers on the market and available to almost anyone. They are pretty simplistic in operation and I suppose that they could be used to support or deny a warranty claim but that would REALLY be a hard sell. Anything is possible though with BMW.......

Rick

Heavier weight oil may cause the transmission to be harder to shift. My .02, stay with 10w40.

seriously doubt that.
#1- i've been running 20W50 in my F8GS for last 2 summers. no shifting issues whatsoever.
#2- Oilhead, Airhead and early K bikes all have seperate transmissions- and they run something akin to 80W90, or thicker (up to 75W140), and have no shifting issues related to viscosity.
#3- oil weight in the combined engine/trans systems is established for appropriate engine operation. i would be inclined to believe that running a slightly heavier spec'd oil would actually improve transmission operation and life, rather than decreasing it.

The viscosity scales are different for engine oil and gear oil.

80 weight gear oil has the approximate viscosity of 30 weight engine oil. 90 weight gear oil approximates 40 weight or 50 weight engine oil. The scales overlap.

Attachments

• Oil Viscosities.jpg
    Oil Viscosities.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
BMW doesn't "make" any engine oil.

And, the USA is the only place it sells BMW-labeled oil.

In the rest of the world, BMW recommends Castrol.

Here's the chart: http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/media/pdf/70583_A1_BMW_POSTER_MCO00066_low_res.pdf

The six isn't there yet, but I'd guess the recommendation is same as S1000RR, K1300, etc., i.e. Power 1 Racing 5W-40. The USA version of this oil is called Power RS Racing: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9040397&contentId=7040544

The mechanic at my local dealer has told me that not only does BMW recommend Castrol around the world, the gray can with BMW on the side contains Castrol.

The viscosity scales are different for engine oil and gear oil.

80 weight gear oil has the approximate viscosity of 30 weight engine oil. 90 weight gear oil approximates 40 weight or 50 weight engine oil. The scales overlap.

Paul- thanks for the informative comparison.

that fact (still) supports my contention that 20W50 should be just fine and dandy, and would (still) have no negative impact on transmission operation.

A dealer doing an accurate enough viscosity test to stand up in court is doubtful. A sample of the engine oil processed in a lab a 50 dollar test to support denying warranty on a mega buck engine is possible. Will BMW do that, I would not take a chance. It has happened with other companies.

Rod

A dealer doing an accurate enough viscosity test to stand up in court is doubtful. A sample of the engine oil processed in a lab a 50 dollar test to support denying warranty on a mega buck engine is possible. Will BMW do that, I would not take a chance. It has happened with other companies.

Rod

they would have to prove that whatever item is being denied in the warranty is directly related to the oil being the wrong viscosity.... a very unlikely event.

I'm pretty sure that all bikes produced after 1500 hours, Central European Time on June 12, 2008 have a SAT based transponder onboard that will transmit the weight of oil you are using directly to the OPS Zenter at the mother company's HQ in Stugart. If you use the improper oil they will send a Telex informing you that your warranty "ist kaput". The system also detects oil levels that fall .001 microns below dead-center in the window, tires that are more than .25 PSI over or under the BMW directed pressures and the condition of your final drive. This later function allows BMW Zentral to send you a letter denying your warranty claim for the FD and blaming the failure on your use of poor fuel and improper braking techniques. It is not uncommon for these letters to reach an owner before he/she is even aware of a FD issue. Believe that!!! :p

Ah! but there is a company that makes a transponder blocker.....I believe it's the same company that makes deer whistles!.......:whistle

requesting an oil sample, and having a UV additive added at the factory are still quite a ways off from a "viscosity checker" (if such a thing even exists at the repair shop level of operation).
i'm still awaiting some kind of factual confirmation before i take that original "viscosity checker- believe it" statement off of the BS pile.

I would assume in the case in question, the factory had a oil test including viscosity correctly performed. Had something been amiss, they would have denied warranty. I doubt if a simple viscosity check would hold up in court. In the case I know of, about 2 days later they approved warranty work.

I'm pretty sure that all bikes produced after 1500 hours, Central European Time on June 12, 2008 have a SAT based transponder onboard that will transmit the weight of oil you are using directly to the OPS Zenter at the mother company's HQ in Stugart. If you use the improper oil they will send a Telex informing you that your warranty "ist kaput". The system also detects oil levels that fall .001 microns below dead-center in the window, tires that are more than .25 PSI over or under the BMW directed pressures and the condition of your final drive. This later function allows BMW Zentral to send you a letter denying your warranty claim for the FD and blaming the failure on your use of poor fuel and improper braking techniques. It is not uncommon for these letters to reach an owner before he/she is even aware of a FD issue. Believe that!!! :p

How did I miss this, oh yea, I was in the French Alps riding, not worrying about oil.

But that said, I cant pass up the opportunity the facts :deal above open up for me. I am starting a new venture. For the mere price of $19.95 plus S&H I want to offer a kit that essentially blocks these transmissions, thus assuring you that big BrotherMW, will never know that you prefer running grandma's castor oil in the motor and final drive.

Grandma always said castor oil was the best stuff you could use to smooth out your exhaust from your final drive areas, and she lived past 100!

The kit contains everything you see below, with detailed installation instructions.

Aluminum-Foil.jpg

Oil Supplier

You are not required to use BMW oil, omly oil that meets the correst viscosity and grades. There are many good quality oils that do this for less money.

The oil chart in my owner's manual for my '11 RT shows a couple of different weights recommended for what I feel is within some small variations in temperature. So, I go into my dealer and only said to the parts conter person- "I need BMW oil for my 2011 RT" to see what he would recommend. He opened the page on the computer screen and said: "WHOA! They sure have a few choices- like 5! What do you want to use?"

So much for expert advice or a definitive answer.

Bottom line is oil is good, no oil is no good.

I don't think it really matters much. At least, for certain, in the short run.
I just put the 15w 50 in my RT today. It's now sold under the Spectra name.
dc

Ask the BMW dealer-

You will Void your Warranty!!!:banghead

All dealers have a viscosity checker if you use the incorrect weight oil they will know right away.:dance

Believe it!!!

It's your bike you need to do what is best should not hurt the engine.
:rofl You REALY believe that ???? Do you think the dealers are the Warranty Police??? This may sound crazy but there is a helluva lot more to that 15w50 or 10w40 rating than flow rate (viscosity). Right out of the can, this wondrous dealer viscosity meter very well may not measure what the viscosity rating on the can says. It's way more complicated than that. Then comes the point that BMW has to prove that such a minor difference in oil actually was the cause of the damage. In the USA you can't do a blanket revoking of warranty for just anything the dealer feels like. Last but not least, those are recommendations not Commandments.

How did I miss this, oh yea, I was in the French Alps riding, not worrying about oil.

But that said, I cant pass up the opportunity the facts :deal above open up for me. I am starting a new venture. For the mere price of $19.95 plus S&H I want to offer a kit that essentially blocks these transmissions, thus assuring you that big BrotherMW, will never know that you prefer running grandma's castor oil in the motor and final drive.

Grandma always said castor oil was the best stuff you could use to smooth out your exhaust from your final drive areas, and she lived past 100!

The kit contains everything you see below, with detailed installation instructions.

Aluminum-Foil.jpg

Do you have room for investors? This looks like a great place to park the Nigerian money I should receive any day.

Back