• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newbie to the Forum

bandman

My name is Dick Stafford. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where the scenery is beautiful year round. I'm married with one daughter who graduated 3 years ago from Western Michigan University in marketing. My wife and I are both teachers. I retired 3 years ago from spending 31 grand years as a band director. I had the largest class D band in the state. My likes include riding, fishing ( I have a charter fishing business in Gladstone - 23 years), hunting, and flying RC Airplanes -(1/4 scale)
My current ride is a red K1200 RS. Previous bikes included a K75C, Honda 750, Kawasaki 1100 Spectre, Triumph 500, and a Honda 305 Super Hawk.
I never thought that I would ever own a K1200RS but I lucked out and purchased it last January. What a thrill. I ride when ever possible which since this last April 1 has been every day. My brother and I have been taking trips every February for the last 3 years. First to Daytona for bike week, then to St Augustine for some R&R and this past February we rode down to Key West from Atlanta, Georgia. The more I ride, the more I want to ride. My wife also enjoys riding when she can find time. I lucked out when I got married. Jeanne had a bike already - a 450 Honda.
I've been riding ever since I got my license at age 16 and I am currently 57. The most fun comes from riding with others and seeing places I have not seen before. The forum is very interesting and I enjoy hearing about the adventures of others. :bikes

Welcome, Dick. My name is Voni and I'm a bikaholic ; )

You are in for such fun on this forum and in the wider riding world.

Glad you found the Rounders. Hope to see you on the road somewhere sometime.

Voni
sMiling

Welcome

Welcome, Bandman, from another Michiganian! (Unless you folks up there don't admit to living in Michigan.) I'm relatively new to the sport of motorcycling, and have been thrilled with the information and advice from the forum. You're more fortunate in that with all of your experience you'll immediately know which advice is for real is which isn't! Will you be in Lima this year?

Bandman said:
I've been riding ever since I got my license at age 16 and I am currently 57.
Don't worry; you'll get the hang of it.

Welcome aboard! Hope to encounter you on the road one day. :thumb

From the Newbie

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome. When the rounders were up here this past April, I met Cliff. He's the one that really got me interested in the rounders. Not knowing what they were all about, I thought that I could fit in. I ride even in the coldest. - No riding if there is ice on the road. Even with abs, I don't like the ice. When it's cold cold I head for warmer climates. If anyone ever wants a beautiful ride, we rode from the Gulf side of Florida - Sarasota to Key West this past Feb. We went across part of 41 and you should have seen the alligators. That was just the start. The ride out from Homestead to Key West is the ultimate in scenic rides. Hope to do it again next year.
For those interested - I am going to Lima this year. I will be leaving on July 20th from up here. I took 5 days off from my busy chartering schedule. Any one looking for riding partners, maybe we can team up. My wife will not be able to go with me this time.
BMW Beauty - The K75 is a great bike and there are times I really miss mine. Someone once said that the K75 is the smoothist bikes BMW ever made. I know you enjoy it.
Well to all, have a safe riding season and keep the rubber side down. :wave

I love the UP !! Where else in this world can a man throw his hat in the air and wear it all day just the way it landed on his head :clap

Of course, everyone knows, silver and blue is the fastest color. :stick

Tim :thumb

Bandman said:
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.
BMW Beauty - The K75 is a great bike and there are times I really miss mine. Someone once said that the K75 is the smoothist bikes BMW ever made. I know you enjoy it.
Well to all, have a safe riding season and keep the rubber side down. :wave

Bandman Thanks For Your Input On The K75... I Love This Bike More Everyday..... :thumb ... It Was A Challenge For Me In The Beginning....
I Am 5'1'' And 115..... I Was Determined To Ride This Bike..... I Have A Lot Of Support From Many Admiring Fans.... :D
I Can Definitely Say.....I Do See An Addition To This Bike's Future... :p

Making the K75 fit.....

Hi, BMW Beauty,
When I had my K75, first thing I noticed was the height. It seemed as though it was a tall bike. Well, after riding awhile, I thought the seat was rather uncomfortable so I ordered a new one from Corbin. It made all the difference in the world in the time in the saddle. It was also a little lower from saddle to the ground. However, if you ordered one from Corbin, I would have them cut the front sides down alittle so it would be easier for you to reach the ground but still have enough seat for comfortable sitting. I loved my bike but needed a little more horsepower for two up riding, especially on longer trips. Have a great time on your bike. I'm sure it will never let you down. :clap

Welcome

Hello Bandman,I have been to Escanaba...my friends from Michigan speak fondly of the youpers..I had a 305 Honda too!!
So are you going to join us at the BMW MOA rally in Ohio in July?

Was A Challenge For Me In The Beginning....
I Am 5'1'' And 115.....

I believe it's remarkable for an 115 year old to be riding at all. Congratulations!
:stick

OUCH! just kidding

Bandman,

It was a pleasure meeting you while we were up at the round-up.

Bandman turned out to be like the Escanaba Ambassador to the Rounders while we were up there.

He showed up and helped me unload the bikes early Saturday morning from the COUGH,COUGH rental truck COUGH COUGH, offered anyone who might need to work on their bike the use of his shop, loaned RedHot a insulated vest to wear,and lives right on the bay just a stones throw from the Terrace Bay Resort where we stayed.

Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else at Lima!

Hi Bandman -- I'm the same age as you, and have been riding since age 14 (with a few years off when I first moved to NYC -- storage issues you know). Allstate Moped, Triumph 200 Tiger Cub, Honda CL350, Yamaha XS650, Honda V30 Magna, BMW K75, R1100R, and now, R1150R (also have a Buell M2 Cyclone and Kawasaki Nomad). I live in Manhattan, but keep the bikes at a weekend house in Redding CT -- lots of nice riding from there. Hope to see you sometime --

I am not only new to this forum, but I am also a "new" rider. I recieved my bike from santa in December after taking the MSF class. I am planning on going to Lima but I still need to ride more. My longest trip so far was only 4 hours. Lima is 8 hours from home.

Oh, I can only imagine what it would be like to teach band to high school students. I teach music to elementary students in the inner city. It is only my 6th year-boy I love the summer, more time to ride. :thumb

motowoman said:
I am not only new to this forum, but I am also a "new" rider. I recieved my bike from santa in December after taking the MSF class. I am planning on going to Lima but I still need to ride more. My longest trip so far was only 4 hours. Lima is 8 hours from home...

So make it a two day ride each way. There is nothing wrong with taking the time to smell the roses. Of course you can always make it longer, but we would all rather have you arrive tardy then be Late.

Good luck. I am sure there are lots of people who can help you get the riding time up, if you have questions just let the Forum know.

Riding to Lima

That's a nice thought to take 2 days to ride up there. However, if I do not want to get lost, I must ride behind my husband-he has a GPS.

Back