• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1st gear or neutral at stops?

It's a pretty basic topic, but it does give me a chance to tell this story: A few weeks ago, I was sitting at a stoplight, in traffic, next to a police car. I heard the sickening squeal of tires behind me and caught a glimpse of something rushing up behind me in my mirrors. I popped the clutch and lurched forward about six feet, but there was nowhere to go. Stupid! I didn't leave an escape route. I braced for impact. There was a final shriek of rubber on pavement and... nothing. I turned around to see the front bumper of a black BMW 7 series (ironic, I know) ALMOST kissing my back wheel. The driver was clutching the steering wheel with that wide eyed deer-in-the-headlights look. (Never mind what my eyes looked like, I was wearing sunglasses.) As I glared at her, she fumbled on the seat next to her, picked up her cell phone and RESUMED HER CALL! Son-of-a...! I threw down my sidestand, killing the engine (without using the kill switch, sue me) and started to get off the bike when the cop next to me activated his lights. He waived me on with an "I got this" look, although I'm sure it was more to protect the other driver or keep me from doing something stupid. As I pulled away, I saw him motioning the car to the shoulder. There is SOME justice in the world.

Nice story! I know I've been more attentive at lights due to this thread. I need to practice more on leaving escape routes.
Once a long time ago when I had my cb750f, I was splitting lanes during rush hour, Nothing too fast, fortunately.
Suddenly, this car pulled into my lane ahead of me. I had to serve left, between two cars that were moving slowly in the fast lane, then swerve right before I hit the guard rail, all in moving, packed traffic.
I'm not sure how I did that.
This beemer is a little heavier, hope I could do the same if I need to get out of the way.

A "major safety issue" yet the thread remains buried in "Oilheads."

IMHO ranks right there with "always stop your motor with the kill switch."

I thought the same many posts ago...Moving to Just Ridin' seems to be a riding issue for all.

It's a pretty basic topic, but it does give me a chance to tell this story: A few weeks ago, I was sitting at a stoplight, in traffic, next to a police car. I heard the sickening squeal of tires behind me and caught a glimpse of something rushing up behind me in my mirrors. I popped the clutch and lurched forward about six feet, but there was nowhere to go. Stupid! I didn't leave an escape route. I braced for impact. There was a final shriek of rubber on pavement and... nothing. I turned around to see the front bumper of a black BMW 7 series (ironic, I know) ALMOST kissing my back wheel. The driver was clutching the steering wheel with that wide eyed deer-in-the-headlights look. (Never mind what my eyes looked like, I was wearing sunglasses.) As I glared at her, she fumbled on the seat next to her, picked up her cell phone and RESUMED HER CALL! Son-of-a...! I threw down my sidestand, killing the engine (without using the kill switch, sue me) and started to get off the bike when the cop next to me activated his lights. He waived me on with an "I got this" look, although I'm sure it was more to protect the other driver or keep me from doing something stupid. As I pulled away, I saw him motioning the car to the shoulder. There is SOME justice in the world.

I came to the party late, what's the tally for those that leave it in gear. I do for sure. I don't relax until I see at least two cars behind me at a light that are stopped. I figure if they get to me through two cars, its T-Time anyway.

Bottom line, if I am heading into trouble, or trouble is heading into me, nothing will change unless I move. Sitting still means there options don't change. Pop the clutch, run away.

Awesome story about the cop, tell him thank you.

In gear, with an escape route.

But who the hell uses the kill switch? The side stand's for killing the engine.

Yes to both. I always try to leave room and watch my rear until the car behind me comes to a stop. I put it in neutral to start but leave it in first when I park it.

What he said, and for the reasons he said.

Taught to all my students - stay in first when stopped for evasive maneuvering if needed - as long as clutch fully in - don't worry about 'damage to internal parts.'

Always park in gear - have seen more than one bike bumped down because someone didn't.

Pretty simple. :dunno

OK, but what about the guy sitting first at the light, in first gear with the clutch in. The clutch cable snaps and he jumps into the intersection in front of a big truck blasting thru the intersection? Won't happen if it's in neutral.

I usually put it in neutral unless it's obviously gonna be just a short stop but keep the clutch covered & left foot on the shifter.

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't just hang up the helmet & sell the bike...

OK, but what about the guy sitting first at the light, in first gear with the clutch in. The clutch cable snaps and he jumps into the intersection in front of a big truck blasting thru the intersection? Won't happen if it's in neutral.

I usually put it in neutral unless it's obviously gonna be just a short stop but keep the clutch covered & left foot on the shifter.

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't just hang up the helmet & sell the bike...

not likely to happen, but I can see your point.. for me once the traffic situation around me stabilizes I don't see any reason to remain in 1st...

OK, but what about the guy sitting first at the light, in first gear with the clutch in. The clutch cable snaps and he jumps into the intersection in front of a big truck blasting thru the intersection?

wow, that sounds pretty scary.

when did you see that happen?

It's the chicken and egg question again.

When I was an instructor decades ago, we taught that you stopped the bike in neutral at an intersection if you had to be stopped for a period of time, such as at a red light.

The theory was that if your clutch cable snapped, or you lost your balance, let go of the clutch lever etc. your vehicle would move into cross traffic.

Of course, you can also argue that if you're in first gear, you can move away instantly if required to avoid a collision.

What do I do? In neutral at red lights, in first at a stop sign, or right turn on a red since I simply have to stop moving, then move when the way is clear..........Rod.

Broken clutch cable...got one...

Age 16 sitting at neighborhood pool parking lot ( made of oyster shells) on my Honda Scrambler 90...looking cool for the girls with clutch pulled in to do a 180 and ride off. I did have my heavy as heck 3/4 Bell helmet on and maybe my Chukka boots as major gear...

well, guess what happens...clutch cable snapped as I revved up, the bike kind of left without me into an embankment and a post...def not the cool look I was working on, the girls laughed and came to my rescue anyways :thumb

From that point on, I learned all about major preventive maintenance,better gear and quit trying to be so dang cool...most stuck with me.

anyways...it happens

on the original question, it depends on situation...
some places I am ready to get out of anyones way, sometimes I make the decision I am good. Can't live my life always thinking I'm going to get run over at every stopping situation...kind of takes the joy out of it with morbid thoughts of constant doom. It's like always covering the brake as I ride...another situation dependent decision...for me anyways.

1st gear for both. I've experienced the side stand fold up! Always leave an exit path when stopped at lights.

Reading your post, I realize I stop with the clutch in, 1st gear selected AND my foot and/or hand on the brake. If the clutch ever malfunctioned, the bike would just stall.

I've been rear-ended twice. First time, I was just inching forward along with traffic at a light when the lady behind me forgot to brake as she was moving forward. Bike was in first. When she smacked me (hard enough) to crack the rear fender, and because my clutch was in, the whole clutch grip rotated downward, my hand released the clutch (involuntarily) and the bike jumped into the oncoming lane. The oncoming car missed me by inches, but I managed to stay aright. Second time, I was in neutral, and another lady plowed into me from behind. I think the bike slipped out from underneath me as I was slammed into the pavement. Which would have been better? I guess I really don't know. Generally, though, I keep it in first, ready for evasive action.

It won't happen if the bike is idling, it will stall every time.

I will stay in first at a light unless there are vehicles behind me offering some protection. If I am safe, I'll slip it into neutral.

On a closely related topic, I always check my mirror anytime I slow or stop, and while stopped.

The BRC taught me many years ago to always park in gear and I see no reason to do otherwise.

Harry

On a modern motorcycle, your clutch cable catastorphically "snapping" is unlikely.

Getting rear ended by a distracted driver (that's politically correct language - old version was "idiot") - much more likely.

Stay in gear, keep one bike length back from vehicle in front of you, angle your bike to an escape path on either side of what's in front of you and watch your rearview mirror.

Live longer that way. :thumb

On a modern motorcycle, your clutch cable catastorphically "snapping" is unlikely.

Getting rear ended by a distracted driver (that's politically correct language - old version was "idiot") - much more likely.

Stay in gear, keep one bike length back from vehicle in front of you, angle your bike to an escape path on either side of what's in front of you and watch your rearview mirror.

Live longer that way. :thumb

or better yet, stay in gear UNTIL the car behind you stops... I can't see why you'd "have to" stay in gear once there are no moving cars around you.. if you're boxed in so to say.

Back