• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 1600gt

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
My RT is in for service and my dealer has generously allowed me to borrow a brand new (2929 km on the odometer) GT.
So far I have ridden it about 110 km (70 miles to you, eh).
HOLY CRAP!!
This bike is awe inspiring to put it mildly. It's just getting dark and I intend to suit up again and go see what the headlamp is all about on a dark road. Should be interesting.

I just had a look through the manuals for the GT and the GTL and couldn't find anything that covers the stereo. Not that it's a huge issue for me to listen to tunes at 180 kph but tomorrow, when I return this beast and pick up my RT, I might want to listen to some Judas Priest ("You've Got Another Thing Coming" springs to mind).
A little help with the stereo controls would be appreciated.

If history repeats itself, I'll be signing the paper work for a new GT in about 14 hours.

-Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Back in from a little night ride.
Now THAT'S what a headlight should be!
Very cool the way it points into the curve and lights the way forward.
Maybe, just maybe, it will become standard equipment on all BMW's.

Still haven't figured out how to tune in the local radio station.
It's OK. Too busy having fun!

Back in from a little night ride.
Now THAT'S what a headlight should be!
Very cool the way it points into the curve and lights the way forward.
Maybe, just maybe, it will become standard equipment on all BMW's.

Still haven't figured out how to tune in the local radio station.
It's OK. Too busy having fun!

Wow, that dealer does know what they are doing! I'm envious.

Just copied your posts above and sent them to our local BMW dealer. Suggested they do the same with a GT or GTL. GTL is a bigger seller in the North West.

Last edited:
The GT has gone back, with 500 more km on its odometer, and I have my RT back and I could not be happier.
If I owned a 16000 GT I would need, probably, at least 3 licenses because the first 2 would be lost due to speeding fines in about a month.
Not that the RT is a slouch by any means but the raw, unbridled acceleration of the GT, for me at least, brings out the urge to just plain give 'er hell. All the time.
There's a great road near where I live, about 40 km in length and with abundant sweepers and a few tighter bends. It's posted at 80 kph with curve cautions of 60 kph. I normally ride along at about 120 but the GT, with its soul-stirring power plant and road hugging suspension just begs one to crank it up to about double the posted speed. And then you feel as though you could take it a bit faster. The bike is that well planted.
Here, there is a "stunt riding" law that says if you are going faster than 50 kph over the posted limit you can have your vehicle impounded and be immediately taken away to jail, AND have your license suspended for several months AND have your insurance premiums hiked to the point where you'd need a second job. So I throttled back and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon at a more sedate 40 over.
My RT is back with its more "gentlemanly" demeanor, the valves are still within spec (after 46,000 km, I'm impressed with that) its all tuned up and running great as ever.
In a mere 3 weeks I'll be on vacation for the same amount of time and I can hardly wait. Summer. Love it!

The GT has gone back, with 500 more km on its odometer, and I have my RT back and I could not be happier.
If I owned a 16000 GT I would need, probably, at least 3 licenses because the first 2 would be lost due to speeding fines in about a month.
Not that the RT is a slouch by any means but the raw, unbridled acceleration of the GT, for me at least, brings out the urge to just plain give 'er hell. All the time.
There's a great road near where I live, about 40 km in length and with abundant sweepers and a few tighter bends. It's posted at 80 kph with curve cautions of 60 kph. I normally ride along at about 120 but the GT, with its soul-stirring power plant and road hugging suspension just begs one to crank it up to about double the posted speed. And then you feel as though you could take it a bit faster. The bike is that well planted.
Here, there is a "stunt riding" law that says if you are going faster than 50 kph over the posted limit you can have your vehicle impounded and be immediately taken away to jail, AND have your license suspended for several months AND have your insurance premiums hiked to the point where you'd need a second job. So I throttled back and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon at a more sedate 40 over.
My RT is back with its more "gentlemanly" demeanor, the valves are still within spec (after 46,000 km, I'm impressed with that) its all tuned up and running great as ever.
In a mere 3 weeks I'll be on vacation for the same amount of time and I can hardly wait. Summer. Love it!

Does this post mean you are going to hang onto the RT? Or do you still want a GT?

Back