• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Arthritic hand relief

wz31857

wz31857
Purchased a pair of Grip Buddies and installed.Took a couple hour ride up Sierra Highway today and what a relief. They are simple to install ,took a little to get used to but I have pins in my knuckles from an old injury that has developed arthritis and they definitely made a difference.Plus there cheaper then buying gel gloves for three times the price and wearing them out in 6 months.I am going to buy a second pair for my dual sport.:wave

It's great that you can enjoy riding again. A good solution for others with similar problems

I hope you have many safe and enjoyable miles ahead of you :thumb

Nice tip:)

Now I need one for my fractured neck, just 3 days old:(. I have been in good care, with lots of medical attention, just needing some good hope to tag along:). I have seen those hand aides you mention at dealers, good to hear something like that helps. BTW, the neck is not bike related injury. Mostly me getting older and not caring for myself well enough. I hard lesson i'm picking up on quickly. Randy:scratch

The grips on my RT seem to be small and the return spring seems strong so that tends to make my right wrist get tired after a while. My solution was to increase the size of the grip with the beemer buddies.

http://originalbeemerbuddies.com/

Although they seem a little overpriced to me for what they are they work very well.

I also had another reason for them: My grips were waring out and I didn't want to go thru replacing them.

Look into them. Maybe they are the solution.

Tom

Now I need one for my fractured neck, just 3 days old:(. I have been in good care, with lots of medical attention, just needing some good hope to tag along:). I have seen those hand aides you mention at dealers, good to hear something like that helps. BTW, the neck is not bike related injury. Mostly me getting older and not caring for myself well enough. I hard lesson i'm picking up on quickly. Randy:scratch

Well........glad to hear it's not motorcycle related, but sorry you're hurtin' Heal up quick....Summer's short enough!:)

I installed the beemerbuddies as well, and can't say enough about them. After 450 miles last Friday my hands felt really good! Best $20 I ever spent. :)

I just ordered a set. I'm looking forward to having them in time for the jaunt out to Sedalia, a.k.a. the sauna.

I am glad to see this. I have nerve problems an recently had the nerve in my left elbow relocated and have numbness in my left ring finger and pinky. Now I am getting numbness while riding on my throttle side. I will have to try these and see if it helps.

Any issues with them interfering with the function/effectiveness of the heated grips?

Yeah, the foam grip thingies help and I even turn on the grip heaters in the summer sometimes.

1. Foam grips over the standard grips definitely reduce vibration. (Can't remember the brand I bought, but not BMW.)
2. Some form of a "throttle lock" allows you to lightly rest your right hand over the grip rather than grip it, which of course you can always do with your left hand. Of course, if you "search the forum," you will find widely different views on the safety of these devices. My personal belief is that they ARE safe, but I couldn't find a commercial device for my bike and had to create my own which BARELY holds the throttle at any given opening.
3. If foam grips don't completely do it for you, look into some form of throttle lock for your bike. Good luck on finding more comfortable riding.

I am glad to see this. I have nerve problems an recently had the nerve in my left elbow relocated and have numbness in my left ring finger and pinky. Now I am getting numbness while riding on my throttle side. I will have to try these and see if it helps.

Any issues with them interfering with the function/effectiveness of the heated grips?

Hexkopf-

OBB's definitely allow the heat from your heated grips to come though to your hands. There are a number of reports on other forums which actually discuss that the OBB's improve the function of the heated grips in that they keep the heat from dissipating so quickly, and work to "concentrate" the heat better.

Best of luck,

Dave R.

That's good to know. I will be getting a pair. For $25 bucks it is an inexpensive and useful farkle. :)

I just got mine. Tried grip puppies ad trashed them the day I put them on. Initial impression is excellent. I get a bit of distinct buzz in the bars around, well, cruising speed. I look forward to trying them at speed. Customer service was old school. Will probably get a set for my R75.

Grip Puppies - that's the type I have and love. Seem to recall a lot messing around with dishsoap, lots of twisting and harsh language to get them installed.

Note: foam grips are going to move your fingers farther from the brake and clutch levers. If you have small hands and non-adjustable levers, this could be a problem.

I thought the reason BMWs were so popular with older riders was because BMW provides heated grips for the arthritic demographic??
Now available on the SS1000RR. Simultaneous mental AND physical therapy!

:stick

Larry

Back