• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ottawa to Sedalia

KevinRT

KevinRT
Virginia to Sedalia

I am trying to come up with a semi-interesting way to get to Sedalia for the rally, but I'm not sure if this is possible. I am tentatively planning to drone down I-81 to Virginia (or perhaps a bit more south) on the first day, then try to work my way west from there without too much slab. I'd probably like to approach Sedalia from the SE, hitting the Ozarks on the way in. Any suggestions how to hook up I-81 and the Ozarks?

Last edited:
If you've got the time, follow your nose onto the LGR's (Little Gray Roads) on the map.
They're some of the best. Avoid the slab whenever possible.
If you find "Scenic 7" in Arkansas, you won't be disappointed.

Here is a thought.

Stay where it is a little cooler and ride west. Cross into the US at Sault Saint Marie. From there cross the UP of Michigan into Wisconsin. Through Wisconsin to LaCrosse, WI. From LaCorsse. From LaCrosse follow the Great River (Mississippi River) Road south to Louisiana, MO. From Louisiana 54 to Jeff City and then 50 to the rally.

By taking that route you will stay in cooler weather and the scenery in the UP, across WI and down the river is fantastic.

If;

Well if you go all the way down to the Smokey Mtns. using 81 into Tennessee, you're seeing my homeland where I grew up. All the byways off the Interstate across Tennessee are time consuming. I40 across Tenn. is good and fast, a day to the Ozarks crossing Tennessee. You do the backroads, two days across there. very nice though. The Natchez Trace Parkway begins in Nashville heading South and you may wish to ride some of it. Its 444miles long to Natchez,Miss... This puts you South indeed and you're still a short ride to the Ozarks. All neat stuff. Don't forget coming down 81, you'll be paralleling the BRP(Blue Ridge Parkway) all through Virginia and its really NICE, but takes time. An extra day easy. Most bikers have this on their bucket lists. See ya in MO..Randy:thumb

One more:)

In Virginia, many cutoffs into W.Virginia will take you into some of the best there is riding roads too. W.VA is full of 'em. The NEW River Gorge is quite fascinating in S.W.VA., where the bungie jumpers hang out over a giant bridge over the New River. You can sign up too:). Anyhow, KY has many nice features too, as you may cross that state. Both KY and TN are long states, at 400+ miles across them. Add a few if you're on the byways. Daniel Boone National Scenic Gorge is in KY, easy to find. The back roads there are great. :thumb

Looking over the last few posts it seems to me that the choice boils down to one of 3 things: hit the interstate and make time, take the scenic route and take time, or mix it up and get the best of both worlds.
Coming from Ottawa, I'd start with the 417 west just to get out of town then head WSW staying north of #7, the point being that you want to avoid Toronto. (Nice riding up there between Ottawa and Bancroft down towards Lindsay/Port Perry)
Depending on where you're crossing the border, you can jump onto the slab and bee-line it to Fort Erie/Buffalo or endure the flatness of southwestern Ontario and cross at Windsor/Detroit.
Personally, I'd cross at the Peace Bridge and head down through NY, PA,OH,KY,IN,IL,MS. With a little TN & AR thrown in for good measure.
I guess it boils down to time. How many days do you have for the round trip?
Combien jours par votre journee?

I'm in KY & more triple digits are coming! Listen to the (other) Jayhawker and head for cooler in states listed! FWIW, i ve changed my plans from CO & heading for Quebec & cool!

I'm in KY & more triple digits are coming! Listen to the (other) Jayhawker and head for cooler in states listed! FWIW, i ve changed my plans from CO & heading for Quebec & cool!

I wouldn't count on Quebec for cool. Quebec is just across the river from here and it has been as hot lately as it was during last summer's record breaking temps. That is, unless you are planning a trip up to James Bay on the Hydro road (the size of the hydro installations has to be seen to be believed) or heading up to Labrador or the Gaspe region.

I'm still leaning towards slabbing it to Virginia then working my way west through Kentucky and/or Tennessee. I might even go to Cincinnati on the way as I may buy a seat there. I am quite aware of the good riding west of here (day trips from here) and the good roads in Virginia/W Virginia (been there several times) - but they don't last more than a few hours heading west. As per my original post, not sure there is a good way to get there from here, afterall, the midwest is in the way.

I agree that no matter which route you take, it's likely going to be hot.
My tip for hot weather riding: wet the tee shirt. Frequently.
Great riding to be had in KY and TN.
I'll be riding from here to Windsor (meeting a friend there) then west across Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and into Missouri. Pretty flat but we'll be taking a mix of slab and B road to keep things interesting. Leaving on the 19th, we'll have the "hammer" down.
It's gonna be great!

Back