• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Magnification of the GPS V screen?

motojeff

Anyone do this before? I have poor vision close up (2-3ft) and could use some help with viewing the 2"x4" screen on the GPS V. I was thinking of mounting a flexible plastic magnifying sheet an inch in front of the screen to see if it would enlarge the screen any.

Are there any ideas on this or someone do this already? My glasses are for reading only and do not work for riding and looking ahead at further distances. The dang screen on the V is just too small but I like it otherwise. thanks.

Have you tried squinting ? :D

Perhaps someone could weigh in on using bifocals while riding. Bifocals will look blurry through the bottom, but maybe there are some that only cover a smaller part of the lens? I used to use them full time including driving, however it's more critical to see the detail of the road surface below on a bike. Couldn't hurt to run it by an optometrist. He might even have a solution to put a magnifying lens over your GPS.

I have a GPS V mounted on a RAM mount in the mirror stem hole. I wear bifocals and have no problem reading the screen. I would guess an optomitrist could fix you up.

Many of us have the same problem and there are many solutions. This is a pic of mine. As you can see it puts GPS far enough away I can see it clearly, and cuts down on road visability very little. Only takes a glance down to see the map so eyes off road for minimum time. Works for me! Good luck

Attachments

• GPS Mount2a.jpg
    GPS Mount2a.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 387
Jeff -- ask to see my pair of Radians bifocal sunglasses/safety glasses the next time we meet.

safetyglassesusa_1844_48848043

I saw these in a review of a recent edition of Motorcycle Consumer News. I have the sunglasses version of these... and I'll be danged if I can find them on-line... however, I ordered them on-line.

Here are some similar options.

These particular ones are available at the Safety Glasses USA Store.

Also, talk with Skert about her solution... she had a magnifier that came from a Nintendo Gameboy... basically a sheet of magnifying lens... similar to what you describe.

Ian

I also had a terrible time reading the Garmin V, until I got bifocals (sunglasses and regular) last year. Now I can read even the smallest lettering. I shouldn't have waited as long as I did, the result is completely satisfactory.

If you end up with bifocals, pop a few extra bucks and get lineless lenses. They take a couple of days to get used to but ended up, for me anyhow, the best solution. I did have a problem with my prescription when getting lineless bifocal dark glasses. Many of them curve too much for the lenses to work with the frames. I ended up with Ray Ban Daddy O's which look decent and give pretty fair protection. :brow

Visian said:
Jeff -- ask to see my pair of Radians bifocal sunglasses/safety glasses the next time we meet.

Thanks Visian. I am interested to see your shades and also Skerts fix. Thanks to all others for all responses. These are great suggestions and I am sure I will find something that works. Dang eyeballs are getting worn out. :brow

Ol'Salt said:
Many of us have the same problem and there are many solutions. This is a pic of mine. As you can see it puts GPS far enough away I can see it clearly, and cuts down on road visability very little. Only takes a glance down to see the map so eyes off road for minimum time. Works for me! Good luck
Also to MOTOJEFF -

Nice solutions! I have good vision and appreciate the location and possibly, with one of the book text magnifying sheets cut and mounted slightly above the screen, the larger image, especially when in high detail modes that usually require several zoom in and out sequences. With the magnifying sheet, fewer zoom in sequences lead to faster assessment of the relationship between the current and targeted locations. I have been looking at the newer large screen GPS units for that reason alone.

Thanks again for offering a functional solution to locating the limited screen size V . that and a well positioned piece of magnification material seem to be a worthwhile 'upgrade':clap

Back