• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Yet another issue with my 2012 K1600 GT

Without commenting on the BMW management response to problems, I have a little different view of the reliability issues of BMWs. Old and time tested technology is more reliable than new and innovative technology. In the car world, the ancient Toyota Corolla is one of the most reliable vehicles and is still plugging along with a 4 speed automatic transmission. Some of the most advanced cars are regularly bashed because of glitches or people misusing new and innovative technology.

I remember when my Dad would not buy a car with an automatic transmission, power steering or electronic ignition because they broke and he couldn't fix them.

I like reliable but I don't like riding or driving something that time has passed by. BMW has been a leader in bring new technology to motorcycles and that brings the risk of problems.

Without commenting on the BMW management response to problems, I have a little different view of the reliability issues of BMWs. Old and time tested technology is more reliable than new and innovative technology. In the car world, the ancient Toyota Corolla is one of the most reliable vehicles and is still plugging along with a 4 speed automatic transmission. Some of the most advanced cars are regularly bashed because of glitches or people misusing new and innovative technology.

I remember when my Dad would not buy a car with an automatic transmission, power steering or electronic ignition because they broke and he couldn't fix them.

I like reliable but I don't like riding or driving something that time has passed by. BMW has been a leader in bring new technology to motorcycles and that brings the risk of problems.

And that risk can be lessened with proper QA/QC and manufacturing by vendors. This is my first BMW. Before that I owned only Kawasaki. The BMW is much more sophisticated than the Kaws I owned, but like you said, simpler bikes are more reliable. What the exercise has done is teach me what I need to have in purchasing a bike, what I can live without and what to avoid. I understand the schnapps flavored Kool-Aid, but it still is Kool-Aid. It really comes down to accepting the Kool-Aid or not.

I have the same issue

It is obvious from some of the responses I've had in BMW Motor Cycle Owners of America that I am not "well received" yet another post from Ricoefamoso.

My dealer "fixed" my left hand signal flasher several weeks ago. Now ... my windshield will not power up or down unless I hit the button on the dash that opens the GPS mount ... to add insult to injury ... when I do just that ... I can only power the windshield down.

Imagine what this bitch is like when I am in a Florida rain storm?

Second issue ... the left side bag does no longer have a tension strap ... it broke for what ever reason. When I open it ... it drops fully down. The "fabric tension strap is gone".

True ... all of the bs is covered under warranty but ... it is an inconvenience to say the least.

Please ... think long and hard before purchasing a K1600 Gt. I just may have a LEMMON but ... I will go back to an RT in 2013.

I am over all of this.

Hi Guys, do you know if Ricoefamoso got his bike sorted? I do have the same problem. when i press the satnav eject button the windshield does not go up.

Help!

Back