• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

alaska timeframe

DWALK

I am having to postpone a trip to Alaska from KY.
What conditions would I likely face from July 23-Aug 20?

June is generally the driest warm(ish) month. Trying to out smart the weather in Alaska, the Yukon and British Columbia is a fool's errand. July and August are as good a time as any.

I left New Mexico May 15 , not one bug bite and very little rain first of June
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/7780879" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Don't try to plan around the rain. I just returned from a ride June 21-July 3. We saw only 2 days that it did not rain. Just grab your Gore-Tex and go. Even the "dreaded" Dalton Highway in the rain was not nearly as bad a its reputation.

I am headed that way during the same time frame. I repeat do not plan your trip around the rain. Being a former Alaskan it could be rain, snow or hot all in one day. The one thing about going during this time is that it will be during PEAK color changes and animal migrations. So you will get to see some beautiful things.
A lot of riders miss that when they go early! The one thing you can plan on is Mosquitos, they are the Alaskan state bird.
Have a safe trip. Perhaps I will see ya on the way up.

Jungle Juice:)

REI sells this stuff, "Jungle Juice" at 98% Deet!!! No Mosquito on the planet likes this. Just use it sparingly, lasts forever. Its name would be/suggest opposite Alaska thinking, but bugs is bugs. They still sell it, just looked. Otherwise carry lots of ammo and a shotgun, just kidding:). Ever awake in your tent, thinking its still dark outside(early AM), look at your clock and say its supposed to be sunrise/light by now??? Its Mosquitoes covering your tent:(. YES, this happens and been there done that. Bad thing was I had to work on my Airhead to move on, change headlamp bulb. NOT one bite with "Jungle Juice":). Scared the heck out of me though, seeing ALL them mosquitoes and me coming out of my tent into that. This was in Ontario, Canada far North also. Randy

A head-net works well when the skeeters get bad. Careful with deet; it can melt plastic and many modern fabrics.

Back