• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First Timers at the rally

LngRdr

Mike
I just attended the RA rally and met a few people that were nice to talk to. I'm not much of a party guy but thought it might be a good idea for us first timers at the MOA rally set up a time and place to meet up and introduce ourselves to one another. It would be good to share ideas and maybe help make the rally better for us. I'm new to the BMW world and looking to learn all I can about my bike and other things Beemer related or just riding in general. If anyone is interested, let's set up a time and place to get together. The rally coordinators may already have a first timer get together already planned, I will be there if they do.

There is normally a time scheduled in the program for the first timers to meet. Some of the Executive, Ambassadors and Ray Zimmerman, CEO, should be there to answer Questions.

First time attendees will be offered a button/pin and maybe a token or other small prize at the Ambassador booth. But you don't need to just meet other 1st Timers - ask anybody. Most folks are friendly and will be happy to answer any questions or help.

Everybody that ever went to an MOA rally was a first timer once. It is the repeat 1st timers I worry about. :)

RA rally

Mike, I too was at the RA rally last weekend. I had a great time and the weather was better than we expected. Copper Mt. Resort was an excellent venue for the RA event and Tina Doggett did an outstanding job as Rally Chair.

You will find the MOA "Howlin' at the Moon" rally a whole different type of event. More vendors, seminars, and events like the GS Giant, GT Giant and BMW demo rides. I assure you, you will not have time to do it all. Beyond that the entertainment this year will be off the charts as will be the Superstakes drawing.

I'd make one suggestion. You mentioned you were new to all things BMW. I'd strongly suggest volunteering at some time during the rally. These forums are full of stories of lifelong friendships that were initiated by meeting people through volunteering at MOA rallies. Check with the volunteer chair and pick doing something you think you may enjoy. I'm pretty sure if you work as a volunteer for a few hours you'll not be a stranger for long.

Stan Herman
Volunteer (RA and MOA)
MOA Ambassador
MOA Director

first timer

Got it, volunteer, and the beer tent. I think I can handle both of those. Thanks guys, looking forward to the rally.

Coming through soon:)

Oklahoma is in my route East again this year. ANY tips for better than average riding through there? I've done it a few times over, but always open to new suggestions:). I have Kansas and Oklahoma, so I cross over somewhere on my way to Oark,Arkanasas GSGiant. I did the panhandle, all the way across OK. recently, so looking for more. Byways are always better. Randy:thumb:usa

BK..
I will be a newbie too.. Moore OK is also pretty close to my route to the ralley..
If you would like to meet up and ride together im in.. I will be coming through on thursday morning ish.. plan to make it all the way to sadlia..

Oklahoma is in my route East again this year. ANY tips for better than average riding through there? I've done it a few times over, but always open to new suggestions:). I have Kansas and Oklahoma, so I cross over somewhere on my way to Oark,Arkanasas GSGiant. I did the panhandle, all the way across OK. recently, so looking for more. Byways are always better. Randy:thumb:usa

Hi Randy,
Not really unless you want to meander up NE on the Old Hwy 66. You can catch it west of OKC and it takes you NE towards MO. I'm leaving for the rally Wed morning but if you plan to come thru before then, let me know and I'll come meet up with you and buy you something cold to drink. POPS is restaurant in Arcadia OK near the old round barn that seems to catch a lot of travelers attention. It has about every soda pop made and pretty good burgers, shakes, etc.
Mike

BK..
I will be a newbie too.. Moore OK is also pretty close to my route to the ralley..
If you would like to meet up and ride together im in.. I will be coming through on thursday morning ish.. plan to make it all the way to sadlia..

I've been recruited as a security volunteer so I'm headed out Wed morning but let's meet up while we're there.

I just attended the RA rally and met a few people that were nice to talk to. I'm not much of a party guy but thought it might be a good idea for us first timers at the MOA rally set up a time and place to meet up and introduce ourselves to one another. It would be good to share ideas and maybe help make the rally better for us. I'm new to the BMW world and looking to learn all I can about my bike and other things Beemer related or just riding in general. If anyone is interested, let's set up a time and place to get together. The rally coordinators may already have a first timer get together already planned, I will be there if they do.

Mike, I'm new to the rally myself, riding from a relatively close location (DeSoto MO) and would welcome the chance to meet at the other newbie's at the fair. I am set-up to work the registration area on Wednesday evening in the grave-yard shift, (5 to11, I think) so if you are around about that time,,,, I'm one of the older guys with little hair and a gray mustache.... Should be easy to spot....:wave I'd be happy to meet other newbies at a give time also.....

See you at the fair..... (Sounds like a saying from the 1904 St. Louis world's fair!)

There is a friendly group hanging at the receiving area. You can work a little or not. Also you can get good advice and see how one small section works.

Ben and Karen
Receiving chairs

Receiving starts Monday mornin, so if you are arriving early, be sure to check in with us.

Karen and Ben
Receiving Chairs

Thx Mike;

I am headed for Oark,ARK., for the GS stuff on the 15th, crossing your areas. See ya'll in MO., if not Oark first. You see a White/red trimmed GSA1200 all loaded, flag me down for a drink:)....Randy:thumb

Be Proactive to enjoy the Rally

Some recommendations I make to Firstimers at the Ambassador booth:

1. Take some time, early, to read through the rally program. Mark the seminars and events you want to be sure to see.

2. Try to assemble a mental picture of the rally site map. It is a big place, and you can wear your legs out just doing helter skelter wandering.

3. Be proactive in meeting others. Riders aren't all socially adept, and may not make the first move to introduce themselves or offer contact. I have met some really nice people by asking to share a table at lunch or in the beer tent, and by hanging for a few minutes after a seminar with the presenter.

4. The surest way to meet others is to volunteer for some part of the rally work. The nicest people volunteer, also.

5. The beer tent isn't just for getting loaded (although that is a possibility). If you are 'forward' in saying hello to people, SOME of them will return the favor. Find something in common, even if it's the color of their shirt or their brand of beer. The same with the music entertainment.

6. One of the benefits of camping on site is that you can (if you wish) have a few brews, and still walk to your campsite. It's one of the best reasons to camp.

7. Sometimes, some of the affiliated clubs can get pretty cliquish. Sometimes, I think they rally like Harley riders ride - in tight, impregnable groups. Be open to meeting new friends. I have made a number of life long friendships at MOA rallies, and I'm an introvert. You can do better than that.

8. Plan to do lots more than just vendor shopping. Save that for the idle time you have between seminars, events, lunch, breakfast, supper, music, showers, demo rides, etc.

THIS YEAR, take some lightweight cotton or wicking clothes, shorts, sandals, hat, and sun block. Missouri doesn't have the absolute friendliest weather in July. Stay hydrated, and know when to find air conditioned space.

Meet people, make friends, don't be afraid to laugh, and be open to others. If you do, you will look forward to every year's rally.

Back