• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Insurance

mclintoc

My brother in law is buying a 2010 f650gs with abs. This is his first bike and he lives in st. Louis. His quote from various insurance agencies is about $1000 annually--very steep since I've always paid $400 or lower. Where he lives and that he's a new rider probably accounts for the cost.

Does anyone have ideas for how to get a cheaper rate?

He's considering co-titleing the bike through me or his dad since we both live in a rural area.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Is he 18 or 45? Does he have a great driving record or is he on verge of having license suspended? Is his credit rating 388 or 810? These and many other questions need to be answered before an educated answer can be given...I assume.

MOTODAN
Is right on, age, experience, past driving record and where you live are all considerations
Be glad it's not a 1000RR understand under a certain age it's $500 per month OUCH

My brother in law is buying a 2010 f650gs with abs. This is his first bike and he lives in st. Louis. His quote from various insurance agencies is about $1000 annually--very steep since I've always paid $400 or lower. Where he lives and that he's a new rider probably accounts for the cost.

Does anyone have ideas for how to get a cheaper rate?

He's considering co-titleing the bike through me or his dad since we both live in a rural area.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

He might want to be careful about misrepresenting the true ownership, who is the primary rider or where the bike is garaged to get a lower insurance rate. He might go along and have no problems ever but if there is a serious accident, the insurance company might be able to deny coverage due to fraud or misrepresentation. I worked insurance claims for 31+ years and we looked closely at the accuracy of applications when the potential payout was large. Remember, the LARGE prints gives and the small print takes away.

He might be able to get a safe rider discount by completing a Beginning Rider Course.

I have been happy with USAA on my auto for a few years, but recently switched to Liberty Mutual after calling BMW North America Insurance... they basically sent me to them and I got a quote for $240/year on my 2012 R1200R... Before that I had a $481/year on it with GEICO (cheapest I could find).. the only catch is I had to switch my auto policy over to Liberty Mutual from USAA, but I got an identical premium on my X5 and Chevy Volt, so in the end I saved and got better coverage with the motorcycle add-on since they gave me the same 300/500 coverage instead of the meager 25/50 I had with GEICO.

I'm also over 40, have been thru the BRT and have more than 3 years total experience, which all give you a discount.

Every state is independent when it comes to insurance. Comparing one state to another is pointless.

Don't know about any other state/commonwealth, but in VA, if there are two names on the title, both parties are responsible/liable, regardless of who purchases the ins policy or whose name the policy is in. I found this out recently when I bought my daughter a car. The dealer had it titled in both names and she got her ins in her name. Then, I found out just by asking, that if she had an accident, not only could the folks go after her, they could come after me. I retitled the car in her name only with the loan in my name and 'her car' as collateral. YMMV

I started riding again at age 57 four years ago, I took the Rider safety course
and then bought my 92 K75RT.

I went to AAA, it turns out that provide motorcycle insurance through Progressive.
It was $110 a year for full coverage, I just got my bill for this year, it dropped to
$84 a year because I had no accidents or tickets.

I live in Oregon.

I started riding again at age 57 four years ago, I took the Rider safety course
and then bought my 92 K75RT.

I went to AAA, it turns out that provide motorcycle insurance through Progressive.
It was $110 a year for full coverage, I just got my bill for this year, it dropped to
$84 a year because I had no accidents or tickets.

I live in Oregon.

I think we must have some of the lowest insurance rates here in Oregon for some reason... with the rain we get, I'm surprised, but then there aren't' as many of us it seems here as in CA or FL.

My bro in law is about 28 years old and has a good record, as far as I know.
I just bought a 2011 gs and my insurance is going up about $200 from $350 on my 1150r. I'm not happy at all ESP since I have a flawless 20 year motorcycle riding record (excepting a few speeding tickets). Ive had two tickets in 5 years. The new bike also has abs so I feel I can do better. I live in rural Illinois. What do you other 1200gs owners pay in Illinois?

Also I took the safety course when I was 16, so I have no documentation to prove that. I just can't understand why my rate would more than double on a slightly bigger, safer bike.

Insurance is all about risk assessment.

Here are some things that increase or decrease your potential risk to an insurance company.

#1 Your credit score. Nobody thinks about this. This is a big predictor. It is used to extrapolate a lot of other stuff. Insurance companies see people with bad credit as a much higher risk to insure.

#2 Riding history. How long you had your Motorcycle endorsement matters. Not the actual riding history.

#3 Claims: How many claims you have made in the past. These are all stored forever.
Any fishy claims will be recorded in the NICB database and cause rates to stay high forever.

#4 Age/ Sex/ Marital status
Older married people typically have cheaper insurance.

#5 location: Cites are more expensive than Rural areas typically.

#6 Tickets raise rates.
It is better not to get caught or go to court .

#7 The item you are insuring. Some items are thought to be less of a risk.
For example, a flashy red R1000 may cost more to insure than an old R1150 RTP.
Just because you think a BMW F650GS is less risky doesn't mean the insurance company does. To the insurance company, heavy touring bikes are less risk because less people crash them.

#8 Rider education and MOA membership reduce rates.
Join a MOA and get a 5-!0% discount
Take a rider course and get a 5-!0% discount
For some reason, insurance companies think MOA members are less of a risk than non-MOA members. Also, insurance companies think rider education makes you a better rider.

#9 the replacement cost
High replacement cost raises the rate.

#10 deductible
A high deductible will reduce the rate. This shows you will pay for the little stuff.

Last edited:
Every state is independent when it comes to insurance. Comparing one state to another is pointless.

That is true. It is even difficult within the same state. I have lived on both ends of Virginia as well as the center of the state. My insurance rates varied considerably with the same company with the same vehicles as I moved within the state. It's like with real estate-LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

My bro in law is about 28 years old and has a good record, as far as I know.
I just bought a 2011 gs and my insurance is going up about $200 from $350 on my 1150r. I'm not happy at all ESP since I have a flawless 20 year motorcycle riding record (excepting a few speeding tickets). Ive had two tickets in 5 years. The new bike also has abs so I feel I can do better. I live in rural Illinois. What do you other 1200gs owners pay in Illinois?

Also I took the safety course when I was 16, so I have no documentation to prove that. I just can't understand why my rate would more than double on a slightly bigger, safer bike.

two tickets in 5 years is not going to help your cause. No history of accidents not withstanding. As for MSF, take a fresh motorcycle safety course, both for your own good and to save on the insurance.

I don't mean that to sound harsh btw, just the reality of how they assess tickets.

Last edited:
any discount you might have gotten for the MSF class likely wore out after 3 years. and having taken the class 12 years ago- well, the current course is worlds apart from the one you took.
look for a BRC2/ERC/Intermediate class (all the same class, just different terminology)- you could see a 15% rate reduction. fwiw- MOA Foundation will be offering those classes at Sedalia next month.

Back