• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200GS Service Schedule

Thanks for the information

I'm still hearing conflicting info on the 600 mile service. Is there BMW documentation on whether the heads needs to be torqued?

Thanks for the information

I'm still hearing conflicting info on the 600 mile service. Is there BMW documentation on whether the heads needs to be torqued?

In post #19 there are 3 different sources of info on the camheads and none of them mention anything about heads needing to be torqued.

Also, you can check this site and there is no such thing as head bolts needing attention for the camheads: http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules.aspx

I'm not sure you'll get anything more official than these sources.

In post #19 there are 3 different sources of info on the camheads and none of them mention anything about heads needing to be torqued.

Also, you can check this site and there is no such thing as head bolts needing attention for the camheads: http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules.aspx

I'm not sure you'll get anything more official than these sources.

My apology

Thanks for getting me straightened out

I opened the wrong file at the A&S site and read the Hex Head not the DOHC 600 mile service.

Thanks again that's exactly what I was looking for

Why did BMW choose to go from a useful owners manual like this to where we are now? I can understand skimping on the tool kit because there is money savings. But furnishing a "owner's manual" that omits maintenance schedules and basic service procedures is pretty sad.

get-attachment-10aspx_zps8f43337a.jpeg

Why did BMW choose to go from a useful owners manual like this to where we are now? I can understand skimping on the tool kit because there is money savings. But furnishing a "owner's manual" that omits maintenance schedules and basic service procedures is pretty sad.

get-attachment-10aspx_zps8f43337a.jpeg

Because they put a "service" light on the bike for you. They want you to just bring it to them for "service" so they can take care of it.

Because they put a "service" light on the bike for you. They want you to just bring it to them for "service" so they can take care of it.

I see, they really are looking out for their dealers. If only one didn't have to take vacation days to get to one.....

I still need to get the "GS911" so I can mess with the electronics when my "service" light trips.

I still need to get the "GS911" so I can mess with the electronics when my "service" light trips.

I've thought about getting a GS911 ... but I THINK the chances of my bike sending trouble codes are very small, so I'm not going to bother spending the $$.

And I just ignore the SERVICE message on the dash readout since I do my own routine maintenance. I look where I'm going so I don't even see the message. I have (American) cars that message me when the oil needs changing. But I can reset the oil monitor myself by doing a little dance sequence with the accelerator and ignition, and, GET THIS ... the procedure is all spelled out in the owner's manual. Imagine that!

But my Motorrad dealer told me that to reset the SERVICE message they had to hook my bike up to an internet connection that went to Germany and sometimes if BMW was busy it could take up to half an hour. Now that is BS. Pure barnyard BS.

My Jeep has given me a couple of CHECK ENGINE codes. But I just have to do a certain sequence of ignition on and off and the code shows on the dash ... then to the internet for interpretation of what the code means. Usually it's nothing at all and after a few ignition cycles it resets and doesn't show anymore. I don't have to have a dealer or a GS911 to figure out the code. Simple. Cheap. Effective.

http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Maintenance-Schedules.pdf

I got 6K miles done for '10 1200GS a few months ago by my local dealer, it was around $300 and included all fluids change including brake, and valves checked. Ah, and they also have free pick up and drop off.:thumb

That's a nice link, but it's for models 0307 (hexheads non-USA for MY 2004 - 2009) and 0317 (hexheads USA for MY 2004 - 2009).

I think the biggest difference between the hexhead and camhead schedules is that the hexheads ask for head torquing at the 600 mile service and camheads don't, as has already been discussed in this thread.

Where did you find that link? There may be camhead schedules close by that one ...

Norm

Last edited:
Back