• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Going to the national from the East???

1der

I haven't looked at a map yet and was looking for suggestions for a scenic route TO the rally. I'll be looking for a camping spot east of St. Louis on Interstate 70 west. Open for a suggestion.

Here is a thought. Your ride will be more scenic. Ride to Grafton, IL. Just a few miles north is Pere Marquette State Park where you can camp. You then cross the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers on ferries.

If you are wanting to get through STL and the camp check out camping in Hermann (City park has camping. The town is worth visiting.)

Missouri State Parks are all over. Most have camping and mostly very well maintained.

Here is a thought. Your ride will be more scenic. Ride to Grafton, IL. Just a few miles north is Pere Marquette State Park where you can camp. You then cross the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers on ferries.

If you are wanting to get through STL and the camp check out camping in Hermann (City park has camping. The town is worth visiting.)

Missouri State Parks are all over. Most have camping and mostly very well maintained.

Grafton, Il would be a good ride from where I'm starting,10 1/2 hours. What route would I take to the rally?

I just came back from the RA and I would highly recommend that you stay off I-70 especially between KC and St Louis.

From Dunkirk, I would come down 90 to Cleveland and go west on the Ohio Turnpike. Then take 69 South in Indiana then plan to go west from Indy through the middle of both Ill and Indiana, two or four lane. Catch Rt36 in Hannibal, Missouri and go west and work your way south when near the rally.

Have fun and ride safe.

Grafton, Il would be a good ride from where I'm starting,10 1/2 hours. What route would I take to the rally?
This would be a scenic route: Cross the two ferries and then work your way to Weldon Springs. That will be the worst part of the ride. From Weldon Springs take 94 towards Washington, MO. Along the way stop at Dannel Boon's Home. You will see signs. It is well worth it.

From Washington take 100 to Hermann. After Hermann continue on 100 to Jeff City. At Jeff City you can take 50 and blast the last 60 miles to the rally.

ajayhawkfan & drsales, what's the deal with I-70? I'm doing the Saddlesore 1000 from Wilkes-Barre PA departing at 5 AM, will not likely be past St. Louis until at least 8PM or latter. Was going to take:

I-71 S to I-270 W to I-70 W
I-70 W to I-270 W
I-270 W to I-70 W
I-70 W to US-65 S

Thanks,

-Dennis

ajayhawkfan & drsales, what's the deal with I-70? I'm doing the Saddlesore 1000 from Wilkes-Barre PA departing at 5 AM, will not likely be past St. Louis until at least 8PM or latter. Was going to take:

I-70 W to I-270 W
I-270 W to I-70 W
I-70 W to US-65 S

Thanks,

-Dennis
The scenery is not very good, road is straight and full of tractor trailers.

I-70 W to I-270 W
I-270 W to I-70 W
I-70 W to US-65 S

Thanks,

-Dennis

All I can say is that Rt70 is OK if you are OK with Semis. Columbus OH all the way to St. Louis will have many. 71 South from Cleveland is not too bad because most of the way is 3 lanes. But 70 after Dayton is two lanes heading west. Thus the truck traffic is more of an issue. Take the outter belt around St. Louis, very busy but better than going into town.

Good Luck,

drsales, thanks for the feedback. I was more worried about traffic/construction/road condition. I'll be hitting the stretch with any luck after dark. As for the trucks, thanks.. anticipated that. I stay away from them and minimize my time near them :bolt

ajayhawkfan, sorry I missed your response, thank you for your feedback as well. Sounds like I'll have to mount the anti-tank rockets. -Dennis

drsales, thanks for the feedback. I was more worried about traffic/construction/road condition. I'll be hitting the stretch with any luck after dark. As for the trucks, thanks.. anticipated that. I stay away from them and minimize my time near them :bolt

You will have some single lane bridge work, through Indiana and Illinois. I would also guess in Ohio on I70. Effingham, Ill had the worst construction plus just heavy traffic. I do not recall much in Missouri, but after all the miles they tend to blend together. Get ready for hot and windy.

Indy is good road through downtown if not rush hour.

Back