• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$$ Maintenance $$

Bemandiego, here's a recent experience of my own you can relate to:
I took my GS in to have new tires put on, predicted cost of about $450.00. While I was waiting, the service mgr informed me that I should come and look at the state of mr rear disk brake. He took me back and showed me pads that had about 1mm thickness eemaining and the rotor was very grooved out, about 1/2 the original thickeness( he was pretty sure it was original disc which would have over127k miles on it. Looked like a vinyl record except every groove on it was of varying depth. No arguing both were shot. So, while the wheel was off, might as well replace pads and disc. My total went from $450 to $1150 just like that. But he was right and and that was a safety thing. My choices were get it done while already there with the wheel off or do it all myself (NO THANKS), so allI could do was grin and bear it.
Oh, and my wife was even more pleased than I was with the news. I still have bruises from that :^}

Last edited:
50,000 On my R1100S, total cost for dealer maintenance, ZERO, I did pay $150 to have the Ohlins/Fox shocks rebuilt. The rest is so easy I can't imagine paying someone else to do it.

50,000 On my R1100S, total cost for dealer maintenance, ZERO, I did pay $150 to have the Ohlins/Fox shocks rebuilt. The rest is so easy I can't imagine paying someone else to do it.

pretty much.
mine has seen a dealer 2x in 91K miles. first was when the dealer convinced me that i could not install a front shock myslef (and had them do SS brake lines at the same time), second was for a stripped trans input shaft.
all regular (and nearly all irregular) maintenance gets done at home.
i am a "shadetree mechanic" with no formal training whatsoever- but beemers are so darn easy to work on, why pay someone else to do it? even if it take me twice as long- that still equates to my paying myself about $50/hr. them's good wages, i say.

I didn't get my first motorcycle until 1974 and didn't get a BMW until 15 or 16 years ago. Other than having the ABS reset after changing the battery on an 92 K bike (zero $), I have never had a motorcycle worked on at a dealer or any other mechanic. I've split the case to replace a transmission gear on a Suzuki, stipped a 450 Honda down to the frame to to straighten it, replaced the differential seal on a K bike among other things beyond regular servicing.

I am a little odd though. I took a car differential apart to find out how spider gears worked. I overhauled a Ford C-4 transmission to prove I could. I had to take it out 3 times because there was a little ring that I kept breaking on assembly but it worked when I got done. After that, a Powerglide was a piece of cake (unless it was a reverse problem).

Yeah, I envy you guys with the tools, skills and fortitude to do all that stuff yourself. :thumb

skill is learned by asking, reading, watching and doing.
tools are paid for with the $ we don't give to a dealer for labor.
fortitude comes from the realization that the bikes were assembled by people, are worked on by people, and that we is people too.
after all, this is not rocket surgery.

It'$ in the $hop now getting new $tainle$$ braided brake line$ after the old one$ bur$t. It's only going to be about $500.00 this time.
I'm dealing with a lot of deferred maintenance issues right now.
Since I bought the bike about 2 months ago, I've invested in new tires, rear rotor and rear pads, braided brake lines, and service costs totaling about $2600.00. Price of purchase for the 2000 R1100RTP was below market at $3500. So all-in-all not looking too terrible. I'm hoping to get it to a reliable condition. I'd like to get new rotors and pads on the front, some Hella driving lights, Some Denali's as well. I've got space on the back for some button lights and I'm going to check for new grips, because mine are old, worn, and uncomfortable.
I feel like I'm throwing money at it, and it likes it.

Are the 'newer' bikes that much more complicated than my 85 K? If I had to have 'others' work on my bike, I would never be able to afford it. This K bike is the easiest, most straight forward vehicle I have ever worked on. For gosh sakes, I changed the front pads in a parking lot with a screwdriver, claw hammer and a pair of pliers! (Could have used a big rock in place of the hammer if need be).

I know we all aren't mecanically equal,( I have a friend, that if you gave him three dirt bike motors tore apart in a single box, he could put all three back together, while I would struggle to open the box) but dont be afraid to try it. Anything that you mess up can be fixed!

and read and read and read the service manual. Put it in the bathroom and skip the Reader's Digest!

Nobody learns calculus in kindergarten. Start with the easy things and grow your knowledge. Seek help when needed.

I'm not afraid to tear into most things mechanical. With this bike that is new to me, I want to be sure that the repairs are done well and correctly. After I have had more time on the bike and am able to recognize when it is not feeling right, I hope to do more of the minor maintenance myself.

Bemandiego, here's a recent experience of my own you can relate to:
I took my GS in to have new tires put on, predicted cost of about $450.00. While I was waiting, the service mgr informed me that I should come and look at the state of mr rear disk brake. He took me back and showed me pads that had about 1mm thickness eemaining and the rotor was very grooved out, about 1/2 the original thickeness( he was pretty sure it was original disc which would have over127k miles on it. Looked like a vinyl record except every groove on it was of varying depth. No arguing both were shot. So, while the wheel was off, might as well replace pads and disc. My total went from $450 to $1150 just like that. But he was right and and that was a safety thing. My choices were get it done while already there with the wheel off or do it all myself (NO THANKS), so allI could do was grin and bear it.
Oh, and my wife was even more pleased than I was with the news. I still have bruises from that :^}

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but here's how your story could have gone, easily. "I ordered a set of tires for $250. I knew my pads were going bad, so I had a set from beemer boneyard on the shelf. Cost me $40. My rear disc was a litle long in the tooth, so I have been shopping the classifieds. I scored a lightly-used one for $50. Total cost, $340."

Stuff like that is easy. it seems a little daunting at first, but you can start with simple things and go from there. Go to a tech day and watch someone change his oil. Then the tranny and rear drive oil. Then the valves and a throttle body synch. Then wheels and tires. Armed with that knowledge you can save yourself tens of thousands of dollars over the life of a bike.

Once you can do that, everything else seems easier. "Brake rotors, hell that's only five bolts. I'll bet I can do that. Let's see what the internet has to say." And you're off.

In any event, good luck. People here will be happy to answer any quesitons. I'm sure there are people in your area who can help you also. Ask around here, and on advrider.com and bmwsporttouring.com. Lots of smart and helpful folks around.

^ What he said. Start little. If there is one of them maintenance DVD's out there for your bike, get it.

edit: here you go:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Repair_DVD.html (This is the one I have.)

When I took my R1200C to the dealer for its first service, the gal at the desk told me it was going to cost a couple hundred bucks to bleed the brakes, as I would need 'special tools and skills that only a dealer had' to do the job. It took me two days to learn how to do a brake bleed on the bike. But I did it. New tires? No problem. Forks leaking? piece of cake. Now I'm learning the delicate art of rebuilding Bings. After a couple of years of working on our 'herd', I'm not daunted by much anymore.

I can't afford to take my bikes to the dealer for everything. Proper tools, a dry garage, some music, a service manual, and the internet. I can do anything. :D

It'$ in the $hop now getting new $tainle$$ braided brake line$ after the old one$ bur$t. It's only going to be about $500.00 this time.
I'm dealing with a lot of deferred maintenance issues right now.
Since I bought the bike about 2 months ago, I've invested in new tires, rear rotor and rear pads, braided brake lines, and service costs totaling about $2600.00. Price of purchase for the 2000 R1100RTP was below market at $3500. So all-in-all not looking too terrible. I'm hoping to get it to a reliable condition. I'd like to get new rotors and pads on the front, some Hella driving lights, Some Denali's as well. I've got space on the back for some button lights and I'm going to check for new grips, because mine are old, worn, and uncomfortable.
I feel like I'm throwing money at it, and it likes it.

That's why a motorcycle is referred to as a "mistress". :thumb

lol, My mistress is spending way too much time with her mechanic. :)

Yeah, but first priority is to make sure it's safe. You're doing the right thing. A good service manual (or two), or the service DVD is good light reading while the bike is running well. By the time an issue comes up, you'll have some insight into it, and it won't seem so daunting.

Congrats, Much luck, Ride safe :beer

Are the new models easier to service was asked.

For myself, I say yes. Less work to do, electronic troubleshooting helps with electrical issues, etc etc. But I am comfortable with modern electronically controlled fuel injection (and boosted or whatever) setups having customized track machinery and street machinery with several generations of the more modern technologies (including the newer self learning types as well as earlier 8 bit computer programmed stuff)

If a carbed lawnmower and airheads are your experience base, you might disagree and I'd just say if you learned that, you can learn the newer stuff just as easily. Fear not, make friends with guys who can teach you and keep on moving. Like Paul said, no on is born knowing all this stuff...(I find all the minute details airhead guys seem to know absolutely mind boggling- I can't even reliably recognize all the variants becasue I rode J brands when those bikes were new)

If your bike is under warranty maintain records of the work you perform. You would hate to have something to go wrong and have your warranty void.:banghead

Back