• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

+1 on PR3's

gene36542

I installed mine last summer... over 12k miles ago. I rode home from NOLA to Pensacola Sunday. 200+ miles, most of which was rain... including the kind that pull's cagers over and slows the rest of the traffic to 40MPH. They never lost control once... even with all that mileage on them!:thumb

2006 RT & I'll reiterate again about Chippewa Rally boots...great for 3 season use, but useless in the cold or rain... They're still drying out.. from the inside

Last edited:
My PR3s don't yet have the miles of yours on either of the two bike I ride that now have them but I can testify to good handling and traction. What I like best is that turn in is very easy and very linear feel as a result of the round profile. No attempts to finagle turn in by odd tire shaping as was true for my older RoadSmarts..I'll be curious to see how they do when getting close to worn out. My PR2s always got very noisy and began to develop a step/transition feel in corners that I don't like much- usually with about 1K of good tread still left- so I ended up doing earlier changes than anticipated.

IÔÇÖve got just over 6k on my PR3s. TheyÔÇÖre just starting to howl (with ear plugs) when off center and the profile is starting to develop ridges. Just about the same as the PR2s I had on previous. I run 38 front 42 rear. I ran the PR2s for 11k miles before the tread wore to the indicators, but I liked them a lot less during the second half of their life. I plan to change these out a lot sooner. Buy the way, I had the ÔÇ£BÔÇØ load rating on the rear PR2 and not on the PR3, couldnÔÇÖt tell any difference. I ride 2 up and packed about ?? of the time.
Bill

Are guys steering away (pardon the pun) from the Metzlers due to price? or is it a perception that the PR3's are better over all? I'd be curious also about how long to expect my Metzlers (R1200R) to last me?

loud tires save lives?

over 6k on my PR3s. TheyÔÇÖre just starting to howl (with ear plugs) when off center and the profile is starting to develop ridges. Just about the same as the PR2s I had on previous.

Bill, Thanks for the info. I had 2 sets of PR2's that made more noise than those 4x4 mud tires! Just made up my mind to go for the Metzeler Z8's next time on the '09 R1200RT.

Had an F800R for 11,000 m's with RP3's. They were rock solid in all conditions. Traded the F800 for an R1200R with Metzlers. Now have 6,000 m's on it. Maybe it's the bike; but the Metzlers are squirrily on wet roads where the RP3's were not.

I installed mine on the 2012 R1200RT in June and have since done 1 road trip to/through the Smokies, and back (2300) miles. Now am about 5,500 miles so far. No indication of front cupping yet like on the Battleax's that were on before. I got almost 13k from them before they were done. I wouldn't expect it though until closer to 10k.

We're now in the summer rainy season here, and I've done 1 tropical storm, and I'd guess about a dozen or so rides of at least an hour in blinding downpours. These tires don't skate up on the water the way my ME880's (last bike) did. They track incredibly well from road surface to puddle and back. They're really good at channeling the water, and you don't get a lot of water derived pull on the handle bars.

I find them very quiet, and sure on all road surfaces up to medium small (pea sized) gravel. They're quiet, provide a surety of ride, and a discernible smoothness.

Overall, I am quite pleased with them. Though they are not cheap, they're only a bit more than some of the other brands. Unless something markedly better comes along, I think I will be sticking (no pun intended) with these.

That's just my experience, and I will be happy to write more as these age out, I will surely be into another set of them by fall.

Almost 5K on mine and they are wearing much better than the PR2's!
They do hum on the road but not a problem.
:brow

What pressure do you use on PR3s? I use 36/40 on my 2012 RT, and I like them that way, but maybe I'm missing something.

Back