• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

adjusted toe in

f14rio

(on my triumph sidecar rig). it tracks pretty well now at 65mph but in right turns the sidecar comes up too easily.

i checked camber with a level (which is magnetic and attaches to the disc brake nicely) and noted i have to tweak that.

right now, the bubble indicates 'lean in' which is exarcerbated when i sit on the bike.

the bubble should be displaced to the left (lean out) which should help right turn stability.

note: photo taken looking aft (front wheel, left side).

the rig should be level (bubble centered) when fully loaded.

i'm guessing this applies to beemer rigs also.

6922676284_cc015328e6_z.jpg

Last edited:
First make sure the surface you are parked on is level. Your camber adjustment will effect how the bike runs straight in regard to the crown of the road.
Toe in will effect the push & pull of the car, and tire wear.
The car lifting on right turns is the nature of the beast. Shift your weight, lean off, to the inside and maybe add some ballast to the car.

when my wife got her first side car

the previous owner showed her how to stand on the left footpeg and tug on the right handgrip, to see if the sidecar needs more ballast or not. Since the sidecar is a Velorex Jawa, it is light, and without a fair amount of sand bags, it comes up real easily.

You might want to try that, before messing with the Toe in/out.

Just my 2 cents......

You're messing with the wrong chicken.If the tracking is right the tow-in and lean are correct.Changing those will only throw things out of adjustment and increase tire wear.If the car comes up too readily add weight to the car and lean,get your butt off the seat to shift weight. Take some instruction and/or get a book.

thanks, a hundred fortythousandeight

there are at least 5 adjustments on my rig. the way to get famailiar with them is to screw with them and see what happens. then i'll write my own book.
6205633999_c7b1ca9360_z.jpg

Last edited:
there are at least 5 adjustments on my rig. the way to get famailiar with them is to screw with them and see what happens. then i'll write my own book.
6205633999_c7b1ca9360_z.jpg

When I refered to a book I ment a "How to ride a sidecar" book.If the car is coming up you're not leaning enough,the car is too light or you're going too fast on the corners.This is not an adjustment issue.

Back