• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear seat heat stays on. 2012 - R1200RT

MikeD

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem (rear seat heat stays on). I haven't had many passengers on my new RT but everyone that has gone for a short ride tells me the seat is hot. I figured it had been in the sun and was warm when the passenger mounted up. However my daughter complained again yesterday and after checking, she is right. I have unplugged the seat temporally until I get back to my dealer for my first service. There is no indication on the display that it is on and the controls all work fine to turn on the grip heaters and the front seat heater.

I may not be able to do anything about this myself but...Any ideas or thoughts anyone? :scratch

If the 2012 is the same as my 2007/2008 models, there is a switch on the right hand side of the passenger seat (so they can operate themselves). This could have been bumped on if the seat was removed for adjustment or maintenance on the bike.

Rear seat has it's own switch, It's not on the same circuit as the front. Is the seat icon displayed in the lower right corner? When the heaters are off the seat icon should disappear.

Well...now I feel a little foolish. That did the trick. Thanks for the help. I hope all my issues are this simple. I should have run through the owners manual again but is was reading other posts and took the easy way out.

Well...now I feel a little foolish. That did the trick. Thanks for the help. I hope all my issues are this simple. I should have run through the owners manual again but is was reading other posts and took the easy way out.

Don't be silly.
I am a Tech and we have a well used saying and philosophy:
"If all else fails, read the dam manual".
We live by it :)

Seat

Youre not the first to make this mistake, every time I take the seat off, it kicks the switch on when I put it back. Learned this the hard way.

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem (rear seat heat stays on). I haven't had many passengers on my new RT but everyone that has gone for a short ride tells me the seat is hot. I figured it had been in the sun and was warm when the passenger mounted up. However my daughter complained again yesterday and after checking, she is right. I have unplugged the seat temporally until I get back to my dealer for my first service. There is no indication on the display that it is on and the controls all work fine to turn on the grip heaters and the front seat heater.

I may not be able to do anything about this myself but...Any ideas or thoughts anyone? :scratch

It is interesting you said there was no indication on the panel? Now that you know it was on, I wonder if your panel display is working?

Back