• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help 89 K75S shuts off

SHOOTER55520

I have an 89k75s and when I apply the brake the engine quits, the engine runs perfectly but I do have a bad ignition/light switch that I have to play with to get the bike to start. New one on order. Should I be looking in the relay box or somewhere else? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost sounds like the brake lever is shorting something out. The kill switch is on the same side as the brake lever? Not familiar with K75 handlebar setup.

Mike,

Check the voltages at the fuses (between the holes on top of the fuses to ground). Key on, kill switch on, fuses in.

If any are lower than battery voltage (especially #1), clean the contacts inside the ignition switch: http://www.eilenberger.net/K75S/IgnitionSwitch/index.html. Retest voltages. If still low, clean the contacts inside the kill switch.

Also, please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46057
I've added this info to the title of your thread. Please do it yourself in the future.

:dance:dance:dance

but I do have a bad ignition/light switch that I have to play with to get the bike to start. New one on order.

Since you chose to order new instead of cleaning, I hope that the dealer was smart enough to only order the $64 switch instead of the $106 switch/tumbler and key assembly.

They wanted to sell the whole assembly but I was armed with the part # for just the switch:dance. I'm pretty sure the brake levers aren't shorting anything but dirty contacts causing low voltage sounds like a definite possability. I'll check it out when I get the new swtich. My dealer said it may be as much as two weeks if they have to get it from Germany but at least they can get it not like some 23 year old bikes I can think of. The old girl needs a little attention now and again but she is still a sweet ride for a 500 mile day.:thumb Thanks for the help

Check the voltages now, while you're having the problem. Then you can check it after to tell if the problem was the switch. Still don't know why you don't just clean it.:dunno

Check the voltages now, while you're having the problem. Then you can check it after to tell if the problem was the switch. Still don't know why you don't just clean it.:dunno

I will check the voltages before and after changing the switch. Unfortunately I am not where that bike is as often as I'd like due to work :violin. I have to make due with my gs most of the time now:). When I get a chance to work on the Brick again I hope to be able to just install the new switch and ride into the sunset:wave, as I completed the yearly maintenence last time I was at my dad's where the bike is kept. He had been exercising her occationally but at 73 he leaves the maintenence to me.

Dad got tired of waiting for the switch to come in and me to install it, so he took it apart cleaned it up and now everything is working great again :thumb. Now he's on the road again. Too bad I ordered the switch before I talked to you folks, they wanted prepayment and still haven't got it in :banghead. Thanks again for the help.

Sorry Lee Dad didn't check the voltage and I haven't been there yet but it sounds like you were right on. when I get there I'll check and if different than battery voltage I'll clean up the contacts in the kill switch as well. When I first started riding BMWs I was advised to shut the bike off with the key because the contacts in that switch are much more durable and I rarely use the kill switch for that reason.

Back