• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

US Highway 2 Information Requested

mlalexander

LangleyMike
I have 1 week for a solo ride on US 2 from Moyie Springs Idaho to Bemidji Minnesota a week or so from now and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to interesting sites, etc. to take in enroute. I plan to camp if the weather permits and must reach Fort Frances, Ontario, Canada by June 17th for work. Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

We followed US-2 across the UP of Michigan last summer to Minot, ND. We had the unfortunate luck of arriving in Minot shortly before the river crested - quite a disaster. In any event we found that many small towns in ND had no motel space available because of the large influx of oil workers. We put in about a 700 mile day from MN to ND, up to Canada (where they turned us around due to flooding there, too) and on to MT.

US-2 was in good shape for the most part and I don't recall any particularly long construction delays. Not a lot to see except for the wide open spaces. I remember one really nice rest area where a herd of horses came galloping by (on the other side of a fence) and that was a memorable sight! It would be wise to make sure you have made motel reservations early in the day.

Open Spaces for Sure

I road Hwy 2 two years ago with a buddy. I second Dan's comments about motel room scarcity in North Dakota. A big oil boom their in the Baaken shale has made motel rooms scarce, especially in far eastern Montana and Western North Dakota with Williston being the center of the boom. I have also heard from a friend that lives in Montana that you should avoid spending the night on Indian reservations as property crime is quite high.

Also, we could not find a room in Bemidji MN. as that apparently is quite a resort area and busy in the summer. So if you know what evening you will be in Bemidgi, I would get a reservation ahead of time.

Not a lot of sights to see although I really enjoyed the ride and the open spaces. We did detour down to Mandan N.D. to see Fort Mandan and the Lewis and Clark museum. It was interesting if you are into history.

Back