• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Colorado, Utah, Five Days, Trip-in-Progress Report. Daily Images & Video

Thank you for this post. I can only say one thing ..... Bravo! :clap

Excellent!

What a splendid travelogue. Video clips are outstanding, including audio selections.

Wifey & I did southern Utah in 03` & `04 in a convertible. Not quite as profound as a bike. Still, your presentation (especially RT 12 & Capitol Reef)has fueled that inner desire to return, only this time on the K75.

Thanks!

JohnM

Last edited:
Beautiful, Bravo!!!

In '82 I took my then 12 year old son from Indy to Portland, OR on my R100RS. One leg of the trip was Denver to Salt Lake (with an overnight at Rabbit Ears Pass) via the same route as yours. Your effort and contribution sure evoked a bunch of memories in this old man. I recall waking at Rabbit Ears Pass in a driving rain, loading up and starting down the mountain toward Steamboat. Bad visibility (at that elevation we were inside the rain cloud), bad traction, cold, son on the back and a logging truck (the driver of which got paid by the trip and who knew the road a hell of a lot better than me) right on my ass. In the afternoon we were in the high desert of Utah and in the hottest weather I've ever ridden in. It was actually cooler stopped than moving. Son was pretty grumpy by the time we got to Salt Lake. :) "Thanks for the memories."

Then, Sunday you gave us the video with the "Over the Rainbow" soundtrack. Maybe it is the broken arm keeping me off the bike and feeling sorry for myself, but the video brought first goosebumps then a tear or two. When I tried to call my wife in to watch I was too choked up to speak.

You done good. Very good.

John

Thanks much everyone. And John, that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" track accompanying vid #4 (The Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument ride) is simply moving. I was marooned on a business trip 9/11 and drove 1000 miles home on 9/12 in a rental car with the airports closed. Different radio stations were playing this version by Eva Cassidy and I was moved to tears while driving through Kansas. Had to buy the CD. I'm finding myself watching the video again just to hear her voice and the acoustic guitar she is playing.

Your ride over Rabbit Ears is a wealthy one. Much deposited in the memory bank account!

BTW, I grew up in Indpls, Crawfordsville, and Muncie (kinda central Indiana).

Steve

RT RANDY said:
What he said: Great pics and video !!! Thanks!

I'd love to know more about the video set up. I'm planning my second trip out there and last year I only got still shots from wherever I happened to stop. This would be great to record the action from some of those great roads.

1) Mounting the camera.
2) Turning the record mode on and off: Is there a remote on off button? Do you just switch the thing on before each leg and let it run until you can pull over?
3) How much memory do you need assuming this is the newer digital type?
4) Do these cameras have some kind of vibration control?
5) Is the the mounted lens seperate from the recorder?

RT... I'm using a helmet cam for this ride. They're all about the same. It is velcro'd to the left side of my helmet, separate from the recorder. I believe in video #3 south of Salt Lake City I look into the mirror for a few seconds and one can see the lipstick sized camera hanging in there. There is a remote button and sometimes you'll see me during the recording looking down at it to make sure the red recording light is on!

I use a gas cap ring mount on the R1100S, but the high dash of the GS, coupled with hazy GS screens has me using the helmet cam. Plus, I've posted videos here before of taking the GS on dirt/rocky forest or river roads and the vibrations would mess with a stable image if directly mounted to the bike. So, a helmetcam for the GS. The head is very stable compared to the thrashing the bike takes. Minimal to no vibes. An example... the GS going above timberline to Breckenridge on a dirt/rock road... http://www.farson.com/video/gsboreas.wmv.

A one gig memory card can hold about 20 minutes of recording at 640x480. If feeding a MiniDV camcorder, you're looking at about 60 minutes of SP recording. HTH.

Thanks for the great info. I gathered it was some kind of helmet cam by the way it moved when you scanned with your head. Any suggestions where to shop for one as well as a recorder? Is the Record button wired to the player? It would be great to have it in an easy location to switch it on and off. Do you have camera cord dangling when you put your helmet on and then plug it in when you mount the bike? Do You travel with several memory sticks?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know Zilch about having a recorder on a bike and you really have inspired me.

sfarson said:
Veg... have another excuse for no exhaust note with the recording... the mic on this helmet bullet cam is with the cam, out in the wind. No getting around the wind blast noise. And, I don't think the stock GS exhaust would provide that much accompaniment anyway :p. Like keeping things quiet when I go down Rocky Mountain forest roads. But anyway, the track for the Day #1 vid was "Evensong" by the artist "Secret Garden".

Steve

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing it.

For those who don't have an XM radio or other music device on your bike, you can get a taste of what riding with music is like from this video. The only difference is that you still feel the "sound" of the bike through vibrations but the music becomes the central sound.

RT RANDY said:
Thanks for the great info. I gathered it was some kind of helmet cam by the way it moved when you scanned with your head. Any suggestions where to shop for one as well as a recorder? Is the Record button wired to the player? It would be great to have it in an easy location to switch it on and off. Do you have camera cord dangling when you put your helmet on and then plug it in when you mount the bike? Do You travel with several memory sticks?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know Zilch about having a recorder on a bike and you really have inspired me.

Take a look at different mounting options presented well at: http://www.pashnit.com/more/cameramount.htm. Included is the helmetcamera.com option I use. The website there provides a good explanation with visuals.

To be sure, helmetcams have their pos/negs. Take a look at the options and PM me with any questions. Would be happy to help out.

Steve

Incredible....I am a new rider...bought an 04 1150R Silver on 4/2/05. I already have 2300 miles on it. I live in Middle Tennessee and love the area where you rode. The musical scores are fantastic. I am 42 and have always wanted a bike. Watching your rides do bring tears and smiles since I am really loving this new hobby/lifestyle. I got to ride through the Smokies heading to the Ga. Mtn. Rally, and get to go back next week. Riding out West would be a thrill of a lifetime. Thanks for letting us 'be there'.

By the way, what do people do to listen to music? Ear buds like Ipods? I like the music ideas...I have XM in my car....thanks for any music ideas...

Rick

sfarson said:
Take a look at different mounting options presented well at: http://www.pashnit.com/more/cameramount.htm. Included is the helmetcamera.com option I use. The website there provides a good explanation with visuals.

To be sure, helmetcams have their pos/negs. Take a look at the options and PM me with any questions. Would be happy to help out.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Got it all book marked. I'm going to start exploring the options and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

As a new BMW owner I've found this forum very helpful, but rarely have I read a series of posts which have been so inspiring. Particularly the videos. I have family who used to live in that part of the world, and reading your posts and watching the videos brought back so many memories of how beautiful Utah and area can be.

Thank you so much.

gr8smiles said:
By the way, what do people do to listen to music? Ear buds like Ipods? I like the music ideas...I have XM in my car....thanks for any music ideas...

Rick

Check out this thread http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=1706 for a few options. Plus you can do a Search from the header bar for more options. Me personally, I have an AutoComm with a MixIt connected to an iPod and an XM SkyFi on my RT. But I love music.
:thumb

:bow Steve, everyone has said it all, it is all great! Thank you!

As a music lover, I think you should have credited each song properly just so we wouldn't have to ask you 5 times (and I was curious so I could obtain them)!

I am in Indianapolis - do you know Tim and Linda Balough, Hoosiers relocated to your part of the mountains?

Thanks again - can't wait for your web site!

Much appreciated everyone. Nice memories only two wheels can provide. FWIW, thought I'd respond and mention I processed another vid of the trip. Shortly after the day 4 video of Grand Staircase Escalante, I recorded another day 4 vid... Utah 12 from Boulder to Torrey. If interested, the link is below. Accompanying 70's tune "Another Park, Another Sunday" somewhat appropriate.

Day 4 Video #2 - Utah Hwy 12, Boulder to Torrey

Thanks again for this particularly excellent travelogue--especially this most recent installment. I'm heading to Torrey for the first time on Friday and now know exactly what to expect from the 12.

Keep posting! :type

Back