• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1982 r100rs

fernando

a friend who rode my bike but has little experience riding and is kind of clumsy specially on curves dropped my r100rs 1982 and damaged the fairing.
he will not pay to get it fixed----low integrity on his part,i think, and because i have other bikes i am wondering if it is worth it to repair.

an option is to repair......
an option is to make the bike naked,or convert to a cs fairing.......

an option is to sell it for parts..............or,get a new fairing and re-do it with new paint...............

an option is to sell as is........

i am leanning to a full restoration including all new paint /color the entire bike................YELLOW---bright and shinny.....

and,i need a new 2 into 1 exhaust but there is no longer such a thing out there.............?????????

any thoughts ,on any of the above..........

the bike has been babied since new,and has 35,000 miles only---due to my other bikes....

i welcome your thoughts....

I'd go with repair as well. However, you should bear in mind that a factory color will fetch a higher resale value. I don't recall the correct colors for that year, but I'm sure someone will.

I still miss my '83.

ok, thank you. i expected more suggestions but i bet given the fact that this is an airhead section ,all of the suggestions would be the same.
so, i am going full out.
will do a new fairing,etc.....
and,the paint............my bike was the smoke red which i never did like ,so i changed it back in 1991 to a lexus color dark green.ti looks dark green in the sun and black in the shade.

i do not care about resale value...i rather enjoy what i like.

now.....i think i am going with the toyota 1992 mr2 YELLOW... it is a very bright light yellow.
maybe too extreme ??????
my wife likes the new copper color that bmw introduced......

do any of you have any ideas or suggestions of a nice color that you may recomend,...
maybe a different shade of yellow or red,etc....
i am all ears......

i plan to take it to miami .so a bright color that will let the old folks see me a mile away.....

go wild guys......

I also have an '82 RS that I bought new. Was originally the red smoke, which I also did not like. With the dingy looking flat black paint on the frame, and the unfinished look of the non-pinstripped paint job, the quality was a far cry from the two red-smoke '78 S models I had.
But, in '85 it got a new red-smoke paint job. Much nicer! Then in 96 she had her frame powder coated to a nice gloss black, and she became blue/silver. Looked good. But none of them looked as good as it's current color, pearl white. We used Cadillac paint, year 2000. It looks fantastic! Definately shines in the Florida sun...........look for her (and us) in Charleston. Can't miss it really...the only Florida tag that says 'BMW RS'.

Yellow!

My RS is yellow. It looks great! It is a little paler than the MR2 yellow you're talking about, mine is just about Ducati yellow, maybe a hair lighter. The PO had it painted after having to replace some bodywork. I wouldn't go lighter than mine, I think a darker yellow would also look good. It's definitely eye-catching, and easy to pick my bike out from a crowd!

I'll try and post a picture or two for you.

thank you mike and all.
ended up painting it yellow ,but from an audi car yellow.......
it is a pure yellow ---2000 audi...........with no grenn or mustard shades............
the pieces ,all look good. even did the rear view mirrors....
being put together by 7/15 and then i will learn if i like it ......

Got a Beemer and I want to paint it black

I painted my R80RT black- cheapest color to paint, truly German. Pinstriped with white and blue- like the BMW logo. See at "Me and my bike" on this site. How can you go wrong with black?

well, saw the bike yesterday,in yellow........the full fairing is not on yet and i hope that the dealer will finish putting it together today.
at first look ,the bike looks strange in yellow.........but the contrats with the black frame and cylinder heads makes it sort of attractive and unique............i will ave to reserve judgement ubtil all parts are in place.......

Your bike already has a 2->1 exhaust system because of the two crossovers that essentially provide the volume of the entire system to each cylinder. Installation of a single-muffler system will surely detract from performance.

kent,
i just posted on exhaust.
no ,you are not right here.
the airhead in europe came with 40 mm exhaust .
they switched to 38mm and thus the need for the crossover in order not to lose too much hp and torque.
the luftmeister unit that i switched to back in 83 allowed me to re size jets one size up and i also lost about 10 lbs. or more in weight .
ff

fernando said:
kent,
i just posted on exhaust.
no ,you are not right here.
the airhead in europe came with 40 mm exhaust .
they switched to 38mm and thus the need for the crossover in order not to lose too much hp and torque.
the luftmeister unit that i switched to back in 83 allowed me to re size jets one size up and i also lost about 10 lbs. or more in weight .
ff

Sorry, but the Euro Airhead only came with 40mm exhaust during the same time period it was available in the USA, i.e. 1977 and 1978.

Unless you have dyno figures to prove hp increase, I'll remain convinced a 2->1 exhaust will cost you power.

You may find the following of some interest:
http://www.ahrma.org/machines/weiss.htm

Last edited:
Back