Thread: 2008 R1200RT navigator & mount suggestions please

Cowboyatheart

2008 R1200RT navigator & mount suggestions please

Hi. I'm looking to purchase a GPS navigator for my bike.

Would like thoughts on different navigators, and mounts, and where to purchase. Currently looking at a Zumo 665.

Thanks
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Garmin mount.

I use a mounting bar and locking mount fromTouratech. Had used a similar setup with a 1100rt and streetpilotIII. Mounting bar is part 040-0670, locking mount is 065-0521 http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...-Locking-Black. I think the silver is cheaper. You have to install the Garmin motorcycle mount into the locking mount
    Garmin_locking_mount_rt.jpg

Mounts the gps at a level I am happy with and can reach easily. Like the idea I can lock it on.
    I have it hard wired through a aerostitch PDM60
    http://www.sportrider.com/industry_n..._v2/index.html
    A little more expensive than the fuse type, but has worked well so far. No fuses to burn out, inherent SAE connector for Battery charger. I use the 3 minute delay connection so I can refuel, run into the PO or such that I don't have to restart the gps. Did use just a powerlet connector to plug into the left side dash for awhile.

Gadget guy

www.gadgetguy.net

Link to an RT
    http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGaller...ver/index.html

Great guy, super quality - worth the price
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    Hi. I'm looking to purchase a GPS navigator for my bike.

Would like thoughts on different navigators, and mounts, and where to purchase. Currently looking at a Zumo 665.

Thanks

Hey Cowboyatheart, i would recommend a cheap Garmin $150 bigscreen job with lifetime maps and traffic. Lots of options to waterproof. But they are the best and you get LIFETIME maps and traffic. And they are easy to see on a moving bike. RAM mounts rock.

just my aquatic take.

good luck!
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Love the Zumo 665 and have it on a extremely well built and well designed BMR Co-Pilot with a Touratech locking mount mounted on the BMR adjustable mount. Also has a Valentine 1 mounted on an BMR accessory shelf and the XM40 Zumo antenna.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

and another
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Yea BMR Products shelf for sure. Goes on in minutes, GPS screen location always keeps your eyes on the road and super easy to reach the touch screen. Don't let the position shown in the photo fool you. When seated on the bike it's just at the bottom of your road view without obstructing the road. Also static mount as opposed to mounting on the handle bars where it moves while your turning is preferred. BMR will have the bracket for which ever Garmin you end up with.

No pictures, but I also use the BMR Products shelf.

Garmin Mount

If you only need to mount the GPS but not other farkles then you might try something less spendy than the BMR shelf. Wunderlich makes a rock solid shelf mount for about $100 less.

Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Cowboyatheart
    Thank you. These are all very helpful recommendations. The pictures add great value, and so do the links.

Please keep all other comments coming, it would be great to have everyone's thoughts and suggestions in one place.
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy