• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Updates- Cruel Hoax?

Theo, got the Communicator plug-in installed.

I shut down/re-initialized and got a couple message pop-ups:

"XML missing" (from Garmin)

EULA not found EULA/EULA_ENU.txt

googled "Garmin driver Windows XP", found & installed USB driver _231.EXE

shut down and restart again? The XML missing message appeared to be there multiple times- I had to close it several times before it went away. I think I missed something at the last time around- as I closed it another, bigger window popped up but then closed immediately as I'd already hit "close" (!)

Oh yeah, my PC is recognizing the device- I've had a window pop open that appears to scroll thru languages and then pops open as if I'd hooked up a camera, asking if I want to do several actions such as load files into a folder on my computer, etc.- don't have any pix stored on my GPS and may never have any..... not what I am about; I got other stuff for that.

Googled "Garmin XML download" (XML = localization software device) and got this:

Home ?? Mobile Electronics ?? Localization Data, XML file ?? Updates & Downloads
Updates & Downloads
Localization Data, XML file

This download area offers free firmware upgrades for select Garmin?« units. These upgrades are specific to the specific GPS units and software versions listed.
Warning

This software should only be uploaded to the unit for which it is intended. If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative.

If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service.
Software License Agreement

By downloading, installing, or using this software, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the following license agreement. Please read this agreement carefully.

Garmin Corporation ("Garmin") grants you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the upgrade software ("Software") in binary executable form in the normal operation of the applicable Garmin products. Title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the Software remain in Garmin. This license is personal to you and you may make copies of the software only for your personal use. You agree that this license agreement does not need to be signed for it to take effect.

The software is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind ÔÇö either expressed or implied ÔÇö including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Garmin does not warrant the performance of the software or that the software will meet your requirements or operate error free.

You acknowledge that this Software is the property of Garmin and is protected under United States of America copyright laws and international copyright treaties. You further acknowledge that the structure, organization, and code of the Software are valuable trade secrets of Garmin and that the Software in source code form remains a valuable trade secret of Garmin. You agree not to decompile, disassemble, modify, reverse assemble, reverse engineer, or reduce to human readable form the Software or any part thereof or create any derivative works based on the Software.

You agree not to export or re-export the Software to any country in violation of the export control laws of the United States of America.

They do NOT, however, "list" any devices- they refer you back to "My Dashboard". My own dashboard did not suggest this particular download.

At this point, the best path forward would be to call Garmin's support line. It may take a bit to get through, but they're usually quite good at helping us out!

Oh BTW- searching around in the GPS menu I found something that was under "My PC Won't Recognize My Device" or something of that sort. It suggested I unplug it from the PC, turn the device off & back on again - this apparently puts the GPS into "mass storage device" mode - then plug it back into the PC. I did that- but again, got no recognition from the updater, tho as I said earlier, the PC does appear to recognize the device, as though it were a camera, or mass storage device.

At this point, the best path forward would be to call Garmin's support line. It may take a bit to get through, but they're usually quite good at helping us out!

Yep, I will do that later today when I have some time. I feel like I've done everything else, that I can possibly do. Obviously there is some component missing from the equation but it's beyond me at this juncture.

I'll report back after I speak with them.

Thanks for your help, tho!
Cheers.

Tom

This is the risk you run when you stick with older operating systems.

An upgrade to Windows 7 would have eliminated a lot of suffering :)

My Garmin Nuvi works fine with Windows XP. Wasn't there an installation disc that came with your device? It's been a couple of years, but I seem to recall running installation software.

By the way, I just upgraded the maps on mine, so no problems here.

Harry

We bought 2 sets of Lifetime Updates last year - one for Dave's Zumo 650 and one for my Nuvi 760. We both had problems with the updates. We ended up having to blow away the old maps completely and reinstall from the update. It seemed not to want to overwrite the updates onto the existing files, and claimed there wasn't enough memory - I'm guessing to have the 2 sets installed at the same time. Unfortunately, it's now erased all of my old routes & favourites etc, so I have to start all over.

It seemed not to want to overwrite the updates onto the existing files, and claimed there wasn't enough memory - I'm guessing to have the 2 sets installed at the same time. Unfortunately, it's now erased all of my old routes & favourites etc, so I have to start all over.

The maps I upgraded to were bigger: I had to run down to Walmart and buy a very small memory chip. Everything was wonderful after I shoved the little chip in and the new maps installed correctly.

Harry

I have an external memory chip in it. Looking at 'available space', it showed more than enough. Still wouldn't do it.

The space issue with updates is a known issue with the 14XX Nuvi line and others. Easy fix, just delete unneeded system files (like the huge library of voice files for virtually every spoken language!) This page does a great job instructing how to open up space on the 2 gig internal storage:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c6483e8a197b8356&sc=documents&id=C6483E8A197B8356!396
and more importantly, how to do a complete backup of your GPS.

Personally I deleted all the unneeded files and had plenty of room for the most recent map update. Of note, most of the knowledgeable folks advise using the MyGarmin.com dashboard to update lifetime maps, NOT the lifetime map updater which apparently is pretty buggy.

Try that - open up the mygarmin.com/MyDashboard, hook up the GPS, and let the mygarmin plugin find the GPS.

I have an 8gig class 10 (fast!) MicroSD to hold my HUGE junction view file and tons and tons of favorite files. Got it from NewEgg.com (love them) for $7 with free shipping.

BTW everyone, nice job on another great GPS info thread. I just added it to the stacked threads in the Best of Forum segment. :thumb

now let me see if I can get this map folded back up...Gary

OK, following the above posted link,

I went in to my GPS's files, and deleted a bunch of stuff, all the extraneous language files in two folders and most of the "icon" files, except the car, crow, & triangle. Deleted all the "image" (sample?) files, too. Left ALL voice and most other things that seemed essential, or that I had no idea what they were.

I guess the idea is to free up the limited space- never a bad thing, right?
I find it amazing that while memory takes up so little physical space, this thing doesn't have absolute loads of it! I got 32 gigs on a thumb drive that's a 10th the size!

BTW, what's the deal with "unlocking" maps? Is it necessary to unlock your maps to then be able to accept updates?

Not that my "Lifetime Updater" even recognizes the unit....

All over but the shoutin'

After all the fuss, today, i got onto the laptop (Windows Vista) and logged into My Garmin. I connected the device (Nuvi 1450 LMT), and voila! Immediate results. :thumb
Bingo, I am now currently updating my maps, "next door", on the laptop.
Had to install the communicator plug-in, and the NET framework. The drivers installed auto-matically, and off we went. I had to "free up" some space on The Device and also chose, then, to save the maps to both the computer and to the device, so that I may create maps, routes, etc., in BaseCamp.

Thanks for all y'all's input and help. :wave

Pc vs Mc...

Sounds like an incompatibility issue between Mac and Garmin. I will be trying the Garmin stuff on my PC shortly to see if things talk better.

Uh-Hm! Compatibility issues between Mac and Garmin? Can't speak for anyone else but I have 4 Intel based Macs (Mini, Book Air, Book Pro, and Pro) and have run all op systems since Leopard along with BaseCamp and never had the first issue with communications. All of my problems in the early days, several years ago with my 765T, were self induced. Still using the 765T and now a Zumo 665 for the past 1.5 years.

Mac vs pc

Just got things up. Waypoint manager won't work with Mac according to the package. Did get it to communicate with the unit after several pc software updates (net something and USB drivers)

Of course when I updated the firmware it went zombie for several hard restarts. Just after sending a technical request it came back to life :fight.

Back