• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Converting front signal lights to running lights on 91 K75

Elwood
I have imported my 91 K75 from the US to Canada and in order to register the bike I need to convert the front signal flashers to running lights/flashers.

Has anyone done this type of conversion and if so can you let me know how you went about it? The two approaches I was considering were:

1) Customizing the front signal bulb receptacles to accept dual element bulbs. I could then slave power from the headlight circuit for the running light element. The problem I have is that the signal flasher plastic mounting hardware is not easy to change. Did any future K bikes use the same flasher housing with dual element bulbs?

2) Changing the flashers to work as "normally on" rather than "normally off" lights. This is made difficult by the integrated relay flasher unit. If the signal flashers used standard relays I might be able to swap the relay to invert the logic. However, with the integrated unit it becomes tricky.

I'm leaning toward method #1, but would love to hear any suggestions.

I have imported my 91 K75 from the US to Canada and in order to register the bike I need to convert the front signal flashers to running lights/flashers.

Has anyone done this type of conversion and if so can you let me know how you went about it? The two approaches I was considering were:

1) Customizing the front signal bulb receptacles to accept dual element bulbs. I could then slave power from the headlight circuit for the running light element. The problem I have is that the signal flasher plastic mounting hardware is not easy to change. Did any future K bikes use the same flasher housing with dual element bulbs?
Contact RunNLites - he has a socket that replaces the standard socket and take a dual filament bulb.
2) Changing the flashers to work as "normally on" rather than "normally off" lights. This is made difficult by the integrated relay flasher unit. If the signal flashers used standard relays I might be able to swap the relay to invert the logic. However, with the integrated unit it becomes tricky.
The problem with always on flashers - is how do you see them flashing if they're always on? It would require a way to drop the voltage to them in the non-off running-light mode, and then up the voltage when the light is working as a flasher plus isolate the lights from one another... Not all that easy to do - would require relays and some fairly substantial (in Wattage) resistors. The RunNLite socket is the way to go (I had them on my K75S and they worked fine.
I'm leaning toward method #1, but would love to hear any suggestions.

A big +1 for RunNLites. Ridiculously easy install, quality materials, decent price.

Look here:
http://www.run-n-lites.com/AppGuide-Run-n-lites.asp

Assuming you have a standard I believe you would want the Type-2 front kit. Might as well pick up the K-Tail-2 while you are at it, a nice thing to have and adds volumes of light at the rear.

Back