• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Stoves, my stuff!

I've also cooked with the chem heaters for mre's. They cook flameless and given the problems with fires and a ban on open fires in the western states, these are the way to go. The mre's produced/distributed by reputable companies are actually pretty darn good. You can heat water in these pouches too so coffee and tea are still possible.

Whats the toes?

Egg's, a tough product to carry, Ive found over the years. I raise chickens too, a family flock of only 15 or so birds, but have never been able to figure out how to carry eggs on a bike without breaking them. Tried too! Scrambled in a box(liquid) eggs are not my thing, so IF I could carry the real thing, I would. I guess one could BUY eggs from a fellow RVer in a campground, as needed. Otherwise, no fresh eggs. Fresh eggs will last days from the chicken, never fridge'd, but once fridgerated, too late to carry unless you keep them cold.
Sometimes, older cooking stuff is the greatest and those toasters have been around forever, as well as many other items. Some of this NEW stuff coming about nowadays is amazingly neat too! I saw a new very basic pellet stove at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and its really BASIC. Like the old stytle fold up Sterno Stoves, similar, but with better burning pellets now. Each one burning two hours and reusable, until burned out completely. Very tidy package and clean to use, like gas cannisters are, but even simpler yet. My Jet Boil is my latest stove, with a few years use now and its a blast furnace of heat. I keep stove shopping, however, as a camper stuff junkie. Randy:eat:laugh

Egg's, a tough product to carry, Ive found over the years. I raise chickens too, a family flock of only 15 or so birds, but have never been able to figure out how to carry eggs on a bike without breaking them. Tried too! Scrambled in a box(liquid) eggs are not my thing, so IF I could carry the real thing, I would.

I crack a couple three eggs open into a small lock-n-lock container and place the sealed container in the bottom of my ice chest. That's good for two or three days. I've not had the eggs self-scramble, even when on some very rough and rocky dirt roads. Not that self-scrambling would be all that much of an issue for me... I often use the eggs to make french toast.

Here's my Jetboil in action

i-X26HsfM-XL.jpg

I have a nice big cooler now too

i-kmNwwhb-XL.jpg

I've got a coleman exponent, uses white gas or unleaded in a pinch. It's a one piece stove that's easy to transport & use.

Old fashioned way

I've got a coleman exponent, uses white gas or unleaded in a pinch. It's a one piece stove that's easy to transport & use.

I used these during three tours in Vietnam and they ALWAYS work. While not "modern" they take up little space, are cheap and do what is needed. Almost any military surplus store has them.

U.S. G.I. Trioxane Fuel Tabs, 250 boxes of 3 (750 tabs)
Just put a match to this compressed trioxane tab and youÔÇÖll have instant fire. Used by our troops to heat their rations. Each box contains 3 tabs in individual waterproof wrappers ...

I take a small pot and a small skillet. Very basic, but functional.

I am a 21 LBS or less backpacker and I do like my Jetboil over my MSR Whisperlite as it is compact and cooks food real fast. Dehydrate some tomatoes blend them up with some herbs and salt in a coffee grinder pack in zip-lock bag, add water intent spag sauce. ;)

After trying an array of cooking arrangments, my final choice is the Trangia 27. Can brew a pot of coffee/tea or a three course meal for two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1YwJwFXLo&feature=g-upl

I also found it difficult to get dimensions and weights for the Trangia products. I have had my Trangia 27 for a while now, took it camping plenty of times and used it hiking on the Appalachian trail. I did not get the tea pot but instead the 2.5 liter aluminum pot with bail. The pot was (relatively) expensive but is nice to have. The pot is 8" in diameter with an overall height of 5" (with lid) and the Trangia 27 kit in the orange bag fits inside with a total weight of 3.1 lbs. It is a well thought-out piece of kit and with some practice can be used to cook anything - but used most to boil water. It came in handy after hurricane Irene last year.

Last edited:
Back