• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet another NOOB - K100RS Lug Problem

C

CalvinG

Hello all,

Great to see a site like this! Just bought a '85 K100 RS with 29k miles. The former owner rode a bit, but couldn't keep at it. The most pressing issue are the tires that have cracks in the side walls.

I took the bike to a shop to have new tires installed. The mech there told me that the rear lugs can't be removed. He broke two heads trying to remove them.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Calvin

Calvin -

Welcome to the forum. Your post tends to be more of a technical question as opposed to a general introduction. So, this is going to be moved to the K-Bike forum. Plus I'll add to the title so that people get a sense of what your issues are.

HTH...Kurt

I used heat and cool cycles courtesy of my handy little cigar-lighting Blazzer torch (Harbor Freight - $10) along with penetrating oil in between to get the lugs loose on my old K75S. Took a while but it worked.

A big breaker bar helps too, just make sure the bike is held steady and in gear.

2342b1rc.jpg

(Really is the best cigar lighter, ever.)

I used heat and cool cycles courtesy of my handy little cigar-lighting Blazzer torch (Harbor Freight - $10) along with penetrating oil in between to get the lugs loose on my old K75S. Took a while but it worked.

A big breaker bar helps too, just make sure the bike is held steady and in gear.

Those wheel bolts don't play nice after they have been sitting there tight for 5 or 10 years. As stated, heat cycles with a small mini torch right on the bolt and a good penetrating oil such as Kroil (pricey but worth it).

The two that broke will need to be drilled and removed with a bolt extractor and will need the same heat and oil treatment.

And for everybody with bikes that sit for prolonged periods, I advise you should remove, clean, and reinstall wheel bolts at least once a year.

Lug weekend

Thanks guys,

I will get on it this weekend. Can't ride with those "may pops" on it...

Calvin

Back