• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

k1600gtl Tire life

OK, an update on my K1600GT tire wear. I wore the OEM 'stones down to the wear bars in about 3100 miles running them at 42/42 with even wear. I then installed PR3s and have 5,000 miles on them with another 32nd or two of rubber left before the wear bars. These tires have got some long highway miles on them punctuated by a number of days pushing them hard through the twisties. I've also settled on a happy place with slightly lower pressures. If I'm out in the hillbilly twisties for a while I like to run them down at 38/38 and get excellent grip and this leaves maybe 1 or 2 mm or wanker strips on both ends. I'm not a kneedragger on the street but do move my weight inside. Normal inflation for commuting and big trips that involve a lot of highway: 40 rear, 42 front. The bike handles lighter in the parking lot and around in general at lower speeds with those pressures. Even wear with no cupping on either end.

I would not hesitate to put these PR3s back on my bike which I'll probably do in the next month or so of riding.

12,000 miles (20,000 km) before replacement

I ride fairly conservatively on my 2011 GTL and got a bit over 20,000 km out of the OE Metzler's. They were very worn when replaced. Rear had cord showing, front was badly cupped - see photos. I've replaced them with PR2's but because it's winter, the bike's in storage right now so can't compare tire life for both types yet. IMG-20121102-00023.jpgIMG-20121102-00026.jpg

I ride fairly conservatively on my 2011 GTL and got a bit over 20,000 km out of the OE Metzler's. They were very worn when replaced. Rear had cord showing, front was badly cupped - see photos. I've replaced them with PR2's but because it's winter, the bike's in storage right now so can't compare tire life for both types yet. View attachment 37660View attachment 37661

Wow... this is exactly what my Metzlers look like after 3800 miles. I never expected to get past 6 but, WTF?
I was experiencing what felt like tar snakes when I was cornering or simply changing lanes swiftly. The other day I was taking off from a stop light into a left turn and my front tire slipped. It was a typical takeoff to the left and my lean angle wasn't too steep for my speed. There was no debris or oil in my path. I almost washed completely. I stopped and checked pressure and for any abnormality. The only thing I noticed was the flattened ridge in the center of the tire with what looked like oblong bubbles. I've never seen this in a tire and I've worn many to the cords. I remember not loving these tires on my K1300GT either....Swapped em out for P3s and I was in heaven. Looks like I'm prematurely mounting P4s.

2012GT
2500 miles OEM tires, didn't like them
6000 miles on two successive pairs of PR3's, great tires, changed early because of planned rides
Currently PR4's with 2500 miles, excellent tires also, my guess good for 7000 plus miles

My Tires

Original Metzler's made it to 7800 miles, with cords showing through on the rear tire. Put on a new set of Metzler's, but was leaving NC for Alaska in June and wanted something that "might" last the whole trip, or at least get me back to Seattle. Tried to get the Michelin PR 4, but it was back ordered. Went with the Bridgestone BattleAx. Had the rear changed in Anchorage with 8000 miles on it. Replaced the BattleAx with a Michelin PR 4. Maybe could have gotten another 1000 miles out of it, but that would have left me stranded somewhere on the Cassiar Highway. Had the front tire changed when I got back to Seattle with 11,000 miles on it. Also went with the Michelin PR 4. I now have almost 10,500 on the rear PR 4 and it still looks great. Front has almost 8000 on it and looking good.

My choice - Michelin PR 4

Original Metzler's made it to 7800 miles, with cords showing through on the rear tire. Put on a new set of Metzler's, but was leaving NC for Alaska in June and wanted something that "might" last the whole trip, or at least get me back to Seattle. Tried to get the Michelin PR 4, but it was back ordered. Went with the Bridgestone BattleAx. Had the rear changed in Anchorage with 8000 miles on it. Replaced the BattleAx with a Michelin PR 4. Maybe could have gotten another 1000 miles out of it, but that would have left me stranded somewhere on the Cassiar Highway. Had the front tire changed when I got back to Seattle with 11,000 miles on it. Also went with the Michelin PR 4. I now have almost 10,500 on the rear PR 4 and it still looks great. Front has almost 8000 on it and looking good.

My choice - Michelin PR 4

My Stock Metzlers went about 4000 miles. I have been using the Pilot Road 3 for years and have averaged about 8-9k on the rear 10-12k on the front. I have a Pilot Road 4 on now see how that goes hoping to get like 10+ out of the rear... I really like the Michelin tires they run solid in any weather.

Z8 doing fine!

This will probably open a can of worms but what are people seeing on tire wear on this model? I understand Load and types of roads matter just trying to get a idea. I have 2k on mine so far in 3 weeks and going on a 2k trip and then a 1k trip and want to plan on tires if needed. I keep checking mine and after 2k I seem to be getting pretty good wear better than my LT but when they go down hill they go fast. thanks for your help

HI Murfs, I have 10,000 m on th eZ8's and they are doing fine probably good for another 1500, although the front tire is showing that "trapezoidal" wearing which is not a concern however going to book int the PR4's which I understand is the **** right now!

Curious...

Just replaced my OE Metzeler Z8s. With 7500 miles on them, they were worn and misshapen. They still had tread on them but I wasn't going to sweat the safety of continuing to run them. Replaced them with Bridgestone BT023 GTs for an excellent price.

...hows those Stone BT023 GT's wearing?

GTL, PO changed to PR3s at 5,500 miles, not sure why. I got 11,000 out of that set. 6,000 miles so far on PR4s and plenty of life left but definitely have some cupping going on as I have a tendency to charge corners and brake hard. I ride solo, 1 helmet + luggage, 40 front/42 rear. I use the sides of my tires as well as the center, but don't get to the edges very often.

Back