• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ATGATT: My Recent Reminder

ATGATT comment

Every 7- day work period I see 5+ M/C crashes where riding gear was minimal.....sometimes sandals & shorts!!! Off duty....I try to emphasize to riders the importance of protection without the war stories.....if they get loud/defensive/AH-like I ask them if they know what "Road Rash" means.....responses are comical......I respond, the correct definition is "flesh being scraped off the body." I know they think I'm from Mars.......

Ask them if they would like to lean against a running belt sander to find out what road rash could do.

Every 7- day work period I see 5+ M/C crashes where riding gear was minimal.....sometimes sandals & shorts!!! Off duty....I try to emphasize to riders the importance of protection without the war stories.....if they get loud/defensive/AH-like I ask them if they know what "Road Rash" means.....responses are comical......I respond, the correct definition is "flesh being scraped off the body." I know they think I'm from Mars.......

I have experienced two bad cornering slides on my bicycle and know the skin can be almost gone in some areas and takes a long time to heal especially since it is easy to get grit and dirt ground in deep. Based on that, I can only imagine a higher speed slide off a motorcycle so rather than try it out I am an avid ATGATTer.

Many years ago, I worked in operating theatres for a year. It put me off riding for three decades. When I got back into riding, with the memory of damaged motorcyclists, it's always ATGATT.

ATG reply

Ken.....I had a similar situation......the skin on my left arm is blanched, with poor hair growth......from a BICYCLE slide on cement 7 years ago.......people have asked me if I was sure it was a bicycle crash & not a motorcycle crash........I assure them I know the difference........BUT it reaffirmed all I care to know about road rash!!!!:thumb

Makes you feel secure

Went out for a 5 hour Sunday ride yesterday and encountered in this order:

1.) Cat eating roadkill as I rounded a corner (cats are fast, not too much of an issue)
2.) Car in my lane totally while I transited a right hander (glad I had the Rally 3 suit on, though she corrected...) if I had to hit the ditch, it's the only way to do it.
3.) Large Dog #1
4.) Large Dog #2
5.) Man on bicycle walking 2 Boston Terriers on a 55mph state highway with no bike lane - I stopped between them when they ran out in front of me.

Note the GSA could squish the cat or the 2 small dogs but there would be guilt involved (GF is a veterinarian!)

Each time - ATGATT, it gets reinforced over and over again each time I go out...

I guess you can look at it as either a doubtful day for the motorcycle gods or a helpful reinforcement and repetitive training :)

Back