• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spline lube success due to moa

wz31857

wz31857
Just completed my spline lube surgery on my 04 rt. I also had to change the transmission input shaft seal and threw in the new slave cylinder upon the expert advise from people on this site.I started Saturday morning and finished Sunday afternoon .Also changed all fluids installed plug booster and positive battery post extender, shifter bushings all tb o rings and seals. I would like to extend a special THANKS to JEFF488 for a step by step procedure that was pure genius. I mentally prepared myself by studying this site for any and all procedures and cautions. Thanks to everyone and this site. I have never had a job of that magnitude go so smooth.THANKS GUYS ,Wayne
(Oh ya ,at 42000 miles the splines were perfect)

North hill, huh? Man, you guys have some ugly traffic near there. Sweet location though, near a lot of stuff.
Congratulations on the rebuild, and great news on the splines. Was there still lube on the splines when you got them exposed, or was it dry?
I've looked at the job, and it seems really too big for me at this point in time.

So... no sleep Saturday night then eh? :scratch

Seriously, that is some fast work. I can't imagine pulling that much stuff apart and getting it back together so quickly. Great job!

North hill, huh? Man, you guys have some ugly traffic near there. Sweet location though, near a lot of stuff.
Congratulations on the rebuild, and great news on the splines. Was there still lube on the splines when you got them exposed, or was it dry?
I've looked at the job, and it seems really too big for me at this point in time.

With the procedure from this site(jeff488) it made for a much easier time. Took a 2 hour ride this morning and it was all worth it.

So... no sleep Saturday night then eh? :scratch

Seriously, that is some fast work. I can't imagine pulling that much stuff apart and getting it back together so quickly. Great job!

I mentally prepared myself checking all steps on this site,made a goal and just kept grabbing tools untill I achieved what I wanted on Saturday and then again on Sunday,That included a 2 hour round trip to Ventura bmw to get burned for a quarter size seal for $25.00. But seriously, no way I would have pulled it off without you guys.

Spline lube question

Can anyone help. Does a slight clatter in neutral, with cluth dis-engaged mean spline lube or are there other causes for clatter on my "04 R1150RT, 31k miles? Shifts beautifuly up & down

Can anyone help. Does a slight clatter in neutral, with cluth dis-engaged mean spline lube or are there other causes for clatter on my "04 R1150RT, 31k miles? Shifts beautifuly up & down

It may have been a mere coincidence but I noticed the same slight clatter you describe prior to doing a clutch/transmission input spline lube on my ÔÇÖ04 1150RT and the clutch spline was pretty much on its last legs.

Just my 2 cents .

I don't know what happened to my posting of my spline lube procedure, pictures links etc but it was a complete compilation for anyone doing an oil head spline lube. The link and credits to Awagnon were in there too. Hey admin guys, why did you trash all that helpfull info?

It may have been a mere coincidence but I noticed the same slight clatter you describe prior to doing a clutch/transmission input spline lube on my ÔÇÖ04 1150RT and the clutch spline was pretty much on its last legs.

Just my 2 cents .

Many thanks! What was your mileage!

The splines had some dried grease on them at 42000 but I just helped a buddy today with an o4 rt with the spline lube,his has 39000 and was void of any lubrication just clutch dust but luckily the splines were perfect. This was the second one in two weeks. With both of us turning wrenches it took about 4 hours for a complete disassemble.Waiting on parts delivery now.

Been reading with interest about spline lube issues since buying an '02 RT recently. It's obviously a cause of great anxiety, discussion and expense.
Still, I'm left with a nagging question: How do we know that applying lubricant to the spline will prevent failure? What's the evidence? It sounds like many of you are tearing down your bikes only to find the spline dry and in perfect condition. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. Could it be something else is causing failure like this misalignment problem I've read about?
I don't mean to dismiss or trivialize the years of thought put into this. I know I'm coming late to the party. Just wondering.

Been reading with interest about spline lube issues since buying an '02 RT recently. It's obviously a cause of great anxiety, discussion and expense.
Still, I'm left with a nagging question: How do we know that applying lubricant to the spline will prevent failure? What's the evidence? It sounds like many of you are tearing down your bikes only to find the spline dry and in perfect condition. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. Could it be something else is causing failure like this misalignment problem I've read about?
I don't mean to dismiss or trivialize the years of thought put into this. I know I'm coming late to the party. Just wondering.

Well let's see:
-The splines come lubed from the factory
-There is lots of evidence here that the lube tends to disappear and/or become ineffective in ~40K miles or less
- Other BMW models (airheads, K bikes, etc.) recommend spline lubes
- These _are_ moving parts in a high torque environment

All of the above leads me to believe that lubing the splines is a darn good idea even if BMW did not mention it in the factory service manual for oilheads.

I'm was thinking just like you but I have now done 2 in two weeks and my friends 04 was dry with just a dusting of rust. In this case I believe we definitely got in at the nick of time. The rust wire brushed off easily . I am sure if it was left alone it would have created a problem .You just don't know untill your in.The two of us turning wrenches had it completely apart in less than 4 hours.We are just waiting on parts to reassemble. P.S. when you are done there is a definite difference in the feel and smoothness of operation,definitely worth it

Attachments

• 9051899636199_ORIG.jpg
    9051899636199_ORIG.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 63
Back