• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding with a finger reattached - what modification

SO I had a little accident & are not riding as of now. Looking for ideas or people who have had acute finger trauma and are riding again - what glove or handlebar modifications have you done so you can ride again. Any help to get me out again would be great.
joeavin@mit.edu[/email]

Looks like nobody has had that problem...I hope the finger heals well.

You should ask your doctor. May be a question of when, not if.

An occupational hysical therapist may be a source of info.

Depends on the type of finger trauma. I have a friend who lost all his fingers on his left hand except his thumb and index fingers, (punch press) and is still able to ride with an unmodified bike. I cut off the last half inch of my middle left hand finger and it is not an issue. I have seen sidecar rigs set up to amputees, I imagine anything is possible.

Joe- you'll be fine. As long a the re-attachment was successful, the usual long term problems end up being your finger will get cold quick. The finger is an "extremity" and it's not easy to get the blood flow back to where it was. People that work with their hands frequently have a similar situation. Good luck. Gary

Joe, I didn't sever my fingers, but damned near. Laid my hand down on a table saw blade, and severed all the nerves, tendons & ligamints to all but my index finger, on my L. hand. (the blade almost came through the top of my hand)

It took about 4-5 years, but I'm even back to playing guitar again which I never dreamed I would be able to do. (not as well as I used to...but quite a few things are getting to be that way anymore) lol

Nerves will grow back, they are just slow to do so. You did not specify what finger you damaged, but I would bet that once you heal some, you will be able to compensate for the weak one by relying more on the good ones. It also will be good therapy for your injured finger.

You will be amazed how well you/your body are able to compensate for the injury!

Ken

Left index - Things are healing - just need to stop hitting it. So far vibrations are the things that effect it now - and waiting to get my bike back to Ma. from my parents where this happened.

ANYthing is possible, IF you believe that it is.
Never doubt it, & you'll be fine.

I mean, before the accident, would you ever have let someone tell you you couldn't do whatever you wanted to?
Right. Do it.
(and best of luck to you)

My bike fell over (thought the kickstand was down) and, like an idiot, I put my hand down and bent my thumb all the way back. Ligament tore out of my thumb along with part of the bone (technically, my first fracture). Had an operation and re-attached the ligament to the thumb bone. Could ride from September to December, but was playing guitar with the cast on (left chording hand) with altered positions. I could play the electric, but not the accoustic. My main problem was that I could not push things with my thumb before the operation, and then afterwards, couldn't put my thumb down over the 6th string for certain chording that is my style. Though the therapists said I would never bend my thumb beyond a certain point, I'm back to using my thumb and the range of movement increases little by little. My whole thumb was pretty numb after the operation, but feeling has come back to the nerves over time. Hopefully this will occur with you. Don't lose hope, these things take a long time to heal, especially the nerves. Do the therapy, think positively, and maintain hope - you'll be back in the saddle.

Bone has mended fine, now dealing with finger skin peeling & sun on the scar. Start OT next week. As we all know you have good & bad days - rally season is here & I'm 4 wheeling it to rallies for now. In the time not using my index finger you & your brain uses your middle finger to replace the old finger - now I have to re train my brain & hand again on using the index finger again - BUT NUMB & regrowth of nerves in the finger are funny & have to get used to. All in All - I feel lucky & things could be even worse. Thank you to all for your insight & thoughts & PM to me.
Joe

Back