• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Home base? American River Inn - Georgetown CA

jaxthedog

jaxthedog
Owing to the fact that the MOA Forum attracts readers from far afield (meaning not near Sacramento or Northern California); and owing to the fact that California's Gold Country has roads that are, to some, Meccas for riding; and further owing to the fact that folks from outside the area may appreciate a nice place to bed down, I have taken the liberty of posting impressions of both the American River Inn in Georgetown, Ca - some 90 minutes east of Sacto - as well as some shots of some roads in the Inn's immediate area.

http://thechurchoftheopenroad.blogspot.com/2012/05/american-river-inn-hostelry-to-gold.html

Not intended a plug, but last weekend, it proved to be a nice place to stay. And the neighboring Sierra? W00-Boy! :)

Let me take a closer look Jaxie.
I was thinking of going back to Downieville this summer. It is such a beautiful area, and I do like the old buildings, and towns and all.
I heard so much about Georgetown also, but really enjoyed the Carriage House there, on the river. And my room was directly on the river, so to speak. So nice.
However, I have heard the road is torn up thru Downieville.
I will take a close look at Georgetown and see if there is an alternative there for me.
And I invite you take a close look at the Carriage House in Downieville.
dc

David -

Downieville is outstanding. I've heard of roadwork up that way but it'd have to be pretty terrible to convince me NOT to head up 49. Sierra City and the loop up thru the Lakes Basin are always worth whatever effort it takes!

I may head up that way this week just to check out any construction and get back to folks.

"JTD"

Between Downieville and Sierra City on Hwy 49 there is a lot of road work going on. Its not bad but it is dirty.
They water it down to keep the dust down so your bike will be covered with mud.

As a public service to all the “Church of the Open Road” sacrificed the spanking cleanliness of my GSA to investigate conditions on 49 over Yuba Pass this day (May 30).

Owing to the fact that there were road construction signs west of D’Ville, I elected not to stop and stretch my legs in town thinking there’d be enough stoppages ahead. I was nearly wrong. The first five or six miles east, the road had one of those new asphalt surfaces that most of us only dream about. Smooth. Superbly engineered.

Little known fact: The road crew surveyors had posted along the way, paper plates numerated with things like +1 or -6 to ensure proper camber to the pavement. Little did the crew know that this is the same method local Indians used to communicate to those who would come later. This is how we got “Potlatch Plates.” :0

Anyway, six miles east, we were stopped for nigh onto 20 minutes for the shuttle lead. Pavement through this section was fresh with the eastbound lane having its second layer, the westbound lane awaiting a second. There’s a short stretch free of delays then, four miles west of Sierra City, another wait. At this point, the old surface is being heated and removed. From there into Sierra City, expect to drive on deteriorated road base not suitable for your Sunday-go-to-meetin’ bike. The water truck did a fine job keeping the surface muddy enough for those later to ask how long it’d had been since I returned from Alaska on the Beemer.

By Bassetts, the work had concluded, however, my sources there (the young man who served me a wonderful hunk of warmed peach pie with ice cream and said, “Yes, if you want to call it lunch, you can call it lunch”) reported that the section from Downieville to Sierra City should be completed in the next couple of weeks, but that they were still slated to tear up and resurface the rest of the route to Yuba Pass with completion being around the first of July.

He added that CA 89 from Sattley to Truckee was slated for similar work beginning the first of July.

Use caution or select alternate routes like the Lakes Basin Highway from Bassetts to 80 below Blairsden or CA 70 through Oroville, Quincy and beyond.

Back