• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ATGATT on a hack?

Mars needs women!
While I'm not hard core atgatt, I cover up reasonably well on a 2 wheeler. With the side car and warmer weather though, I'm going jacket-less and don't feel nearly as vulnerable as I would on my K75. Still wear a helmet, just less gear. Don't really need a lecture on the horrors of road rash, just wondered if anyone else felt the same.

On another note, anyone have a seat belt in their hack? I put one in mine (anchor holes already there) mainly just because the kids are so used to wearing one in the car, they feel more comfortable with it. Can't decide if it would be an asset or a liability in an accident. :scratch

seat belt

i also use a hack seat belt. cheap easy to install. no reason not to. not sure about accidents but i wouldn't give a small child a ride without it.

I will occasionally wear jeans in lieu of riding pants on the hack, but always wear the rest of my gear: full face helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. I figure sliding injuries are much less likely, but fear the blunt trauma thing.

No seatbelt in my hack. In fact, no seat. It was replaced with a memory foam mattress for Barley. He does have an anchor point for his safety harness which he wears every time we go out together. (He's a gun dog and lunges at every small animal we see, hence the tether.)

My wife finds the mattress more comfortable than the seat, but refuses to wear the leash so we don't travel together much. I'm all about safety, you know.

98% ATGATT. Jeans on ocassion, usually Darien pants, more heat management on a K-bike. As Pete said, less concern about falling off and sliding, but the idiots will still cut you off or run into you.
We have a seat belt, wife is about 50% on using it, less than 50% on the gear, except for her helmet, 100%.

Seatbelt in the sidecar and it gets used every ride. Ditto for helmet in the SC. As for me, I do ATGATT on the SC rig except when we are putting down to a local diner for meal--then it's jeans/leather jacket/helmet/gloves. The biggest gear problem we face is that the SC passenger can't wear a helmet when it is raining and we have the roof on the SC...

Best,

GTRider

Seatbelt in the tub...the kids (7+8) are always strapped in, my wife doesn't wear it. All passengers require helmets by law. I ride with helmet, jacket, gloves and boots always...protective pants sometimes (chaps or aerostitch).

Seat belt in the sidecar; its use is mandatory for anybody under 18 as far as I'm concerned. My wife uses it every time she rides.

I admit I do relax ATGATT a little on the rig - but I still wear helmet, jacket, hi-viz vest, gloves & boots. I guess the only thing I relax on is the overpants. Anybody in the sidecar wears helmet & jacket at the very least, & if it's my wife or kid, gloves as well.

Guilty! I've even worn shorts up to the market. Never on a longer trip. shoe/sneakers...
No seat Belts. That would scare me. Passengers get in and are told: "No need to anything except keep your hands inside and hold on to the forward hand hold." Tying someone down to that rig would scare the hell outa me.
Helmets all around... Always.

no seat belt but installed rollercoaster type pull down & lock in place bar. Need monkey to be able to move side to side & have a good hand hold.
I wear gear 98% of the time,helmet every time.

I'm ATGATT riding the rig. Passengers always use helmets at a minimum.

I have seat belts installed, mainly to secure a child seat when my monkeys were much smaller. Now its rarely used except when giving rides to small children. Not sure how much good a seat belt would do in a fiberglass tub that is likely to shatter in a bad wreck.

Plus like ajourneyman said, its helpful for the monkeys to be able to move around.

Back