• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New rider bike choices

rodstanhope

I need some advice/input. My dad is a beginning rider and in the market for a bike. Please help us in determining the best option for him.

His details:

5'8 185lbs 57 years young

Very limited riding experience other than MSF class and dirt bikes as a kid.

Must haves and important concerns:

1. seat height (28" inseam)
2. weight
3. Fuel injection
4. upright/comfortable riding position (my k75 has him too far forward with standard bars and my rt has him just right but just too much mass)

I appreciate any comments and input.

Of BMWs, sounds like an F800, possibly lowered, might be just the ticket. My wife is shorter and she thought the K1200R fit just right, but the KR is not available in the US anymore, and may be more power than one needs for a beginner.....

What type of riding...

What type of riding does your dad anticipate doing? If he is going to ride locally around town, that is potentially one kind of bike. It he is planning on doing some open road riding, that might suggest another type of bike. :dunno

I learned to ride at age 51 on an F800ST. With hindsight, I might have been better getting in those first few thousand miles on something in the 250cc range, but it worked out.

You can go through the archives on my blog and get the full scoop. (I also have a short inseam--a sports medicine doctor once told me I had the torso of a six footer and the legs of someone 5'6").

Pick well:)

Get big enough, he won't regret not having a good tourer under him. The newbie wears off quickly. Not in the education sense, but in eye candy, all the choices out there. We're never too educated to ride safer and know the m/c rules:)...IF ya got money, spend a few bucks on another dirt bike adventure type and go play. Get the bigger adventure bike when time seems right. Randy

What type of riding does your dad anticipate doing? If he is going to ride locally around town, that is potentially one kind of bike. It he is planning on doing some open road riding, that might suggest another type of bike. :dunno

He's interested in day trips of approx 200 miles in some of the twisties around Georgia/TN. Possibly an overnight trip here and there. I see very little true Highway miles for him.

I should also point most likely at a very leasure pace. I'm not much of a speed demon either. I kinda envision us taking 6 or 8 hours to cover 200 to 250 miles.

Good thoughts guys. I logged my first 5000 miles on a mid wieght cruiser before realizing I was more inclined towards touring bikes. When converting to BMWs my biggest obstacle was the seat height, and I know that is concerning him as well. I'm leaning toward a cruiser for him as well until he determines his true riding preferences just to accommodate the size concerns.

These will be all over the map, but you might find something interesting. I'm looking for a seat height under 32", fuel injection and a relatively mellow motor (regardless of displacement), with a relaxed seating position.

Suzuki TU250X

BMW F650CS http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=37467&catid=1

Honda NT700V

Suzki SV650 (later years, not sure of cut off to get FI)

BMW K75RT http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=37356&catid=1

BMW F650GS (single) http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=37424&catid=1

Why are you opposed to carburetors? Even if you don't want a carbureted bike for the long haul, it would give you more options for a short term learner bike that you wouldn't cry over if it were droped in a driveway. Small dual sports are easy to ride, stable and forgiving on bumps with a larger front tire, durable and light, but you get stuck with a carburetor and he'd probably be looking for a more comfortable seat. Just a thought - good luck and :clap for your dad getting on a bike.

These will be all over the map, but you might find something interesting. I'm looking for a seat height under 32", fuel injection and a relatively mellow motor (regardless of displacement), with a relaxed seating position.

Suzuki TU250X

BMW F650CS http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=37467&catid=1

Honda NT700V

Suzki SV650 (later years, not sure of cut off to get FI)

BMW K75RT http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=37356&catid=1

BMW F650GS (single) http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=37424&catid=1

Why are you opposed to carburetors? Even if you don't want a carbureted bike for the long haul, it would give you more options for a short term learner bike that you wouldn't cry over if it were droped in a driveway. Small dual sports are easy to ride, stable and forgiving on bumps with a larger front tire, durable and light, but you get stuck with a carburetor and he'd probably be looking for a more comfortable seat. Just a thought - good luck and :clap for your dad getting on a bike.

Kinda intrigued by the F650CS...

Good point on the carbs, Guess I'm thinking he will have this bike forever!! We all know that's not likely.

Tell him to search Craigslist for something 600cc or smaller. He can probably find something for less than $2500 he can learn on and not feel horrible when (not if) he dumps it. It would be lunacy for a new rider to spend a ton of money on a bike that he's going to learn on.

Once he gets some miles on his beater, then he can sell it for about what he paid for it and step up to something nicer.

Tell him to search Craigslist for something 600cc or smaller. He can probably find something for less than $2500 he can learn on and not feel horrible when (not if) he dumps it. It would be lunacy for a new rider to spend a ton of money on a bike that he's going to learn on.

Once he gets some miles on his beater, then he can sell it for about what he paid for it and step up to something nicer.

I'm thinking this is a good approach. There's so much to learn about riding and about one's preferences in bikes. There's alot of bikes out there for around $3k that can make you smile!

How about a Bonneville? Not terribly heavy, enough power for later without being intimidating now. Classic looks, modernized running gear.

BMW F650gs low/ seat suspension option, great handling, ABS
Triumph Bonneville, classic looks, fuel injection, easy handling, negatives no ABS not so great for more than 50-100 mles
I ride a 1200gs for touring and a Bonneville for around town

I'm thinking this is a good approach. There's so much to learn about riding and about one's preferences in bikes. There's alot of bikes out there for around $3k that can make you smile!

+1 on that, help him find a decent shape middleweight bike, 500-600cc, and encourage him to ride it a lot. Take a beginner's class MSF course or something similar if available where you live. Given that he rode dirt bikes in his youth, he'll pick it pretty quickly I bet. And...if he decides it isn't really his cup of tea, he has got a ton of money invested.

Cheers!

PS. As an aside...I'm sorta old, but started my moto experience with a 305 Scrambler. A few years after that, I got a 450 Honda...and I thought it was "BIG". Funny how perceptions change...LOL

As an over 50 rider my main concern is comfort. If a bike is not comfortable, I and probably your Dad will not ride it. He needs to start visiting the dealers in his area and see what he likes.

SeabeckS;782397 PS. As an aside...I'm sorta old said:
I work with a fellow from India. We were talking about motorcycles one day and Royal Enfield came up. He commented that Royal Enfield didn't make a small bike, their range started with a "big" 350 and went to a "huge" 500.

Sorry for the thread hijack

I would get a used Japanese Cruiser in the 750cc range. I had a friend who had a Honda Shadow and another who had a Yamaha Verago (now Star). They were both very nice handling bikes with low seats, good power, were easy to ride and they handled nice. They are also plentiful on the used market. Keep in mind that they are not all alike, especially Honda. They had both smooth running ones and ones designed to vibrate like a Harley and they had different riding positions. I wouldn't worry about fuel injection.

My brother was a re-entry rider in his late 50s after not riding for around 25 years. He got a Honda 750 Aero Shadow cruiser (shaft drive) and really loved it. Low seat, easy to handle, reasonably priced used. Then he won a Harley in a raffle and has gone to the dark side forever ;-)

My own story... re-entry at 64 year old after 30+ years not riding. Wanted something that could do light touring, not be real heavy, be reasonably reliable, etc. Ended up on a 1993 k75RT. So far, I'm happy with it and haven't made a move to "upgrade." But, I'm 6'3" and can see how the seating position might be a bit high for your Dad. Think they have a low seat option as well though I've not tried one. Mine has ABS and EFI which I find really nice.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Carl

Back