Thread: charcoal canister

On the Road

charcoal canister

I recently purchased a 2004 r1100s Boxer Cup Replika, ( 19,000 miles) the charcoal canister and catalytic converter was removed. The hoses for the canister were tucked up under the rear side panel and not capped. My question is there a procedure on properly removing the charcoal canister, or should I try to reinstall it? I would prefer not to install the converter, I don't have the original converter, but I do have the charcoal canister with most of the parts.

I will tell you, I was having problems with low idle, so I capped off the two lower vacuum ports on both throttle bodies and readjusted idle and throttle body synchronization, the bike performs a ton better.

Leave it off. It sounds like your problem was the vacuum ports were left open; they should be closed off except when performing a throttle body sync.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

yep - sounds like you already fixed the PO's botched attempt. Just remove the rest of the plumbing that he left behind and you should be good to go. You can also remove the solenoid that went inline between the pots on the throttle bodies and then cannister. I found that getting rid of it gave me a bit more freedom with the wire harness routing. Mine is a 1995, so that may or may not be the case with yours.

Do a search on canisterectomy. There is a good thread on the ADVrider forum.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

FatChance
    I still have the solenoid on my 1150GS. If I remove it, should the two wires be connected or left open or does it matter at all?

Leave them open. If you connect them, you will cause a short and hopefully just blow a fuse. I filled my plug with a bit of silicone to be safe, but it probably isn't needed.

On the Road
    Thank you all for the great information, sounds like I'm going in the right directions.

ask your R11S questions over here http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...0s-tech-forum/, far more focused than this MOA site.
    oh- be sure to Search 1st, as most questions have long since been asked and suitably answered.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots