• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve train tick

04GSRDRIa

04GSRDRIa
I have an 04 oilhead. I have replaced the cam chain tensioner on the left side and do not have the ticking noise on that side. It still ticks loudly on the right side. I have been told to use German oil. I am considering tring Liqi-Moly. Does anyone else have this problem and can suggest a fix.

Next time you have tha valve cover off, check the up and down play of the rocker arm on the rocker arm shaft. Don't recall what the measurement is but there is a max. and min. range. Mine was near the max. range, so I loosened the nuts on the rocker arm studs and adjusted it closer to the min. range. It made my valve train quieter than it was previously.

I have an 04 oilhead. I have replaced the cam chain tensioner on the left side and do not have the ticking noise on that side. It still ticks loudly on the right side. I have been told to use German oil. I am considering tring Liqi-Moly. Does anyone else have this problem and can suggest a fix.

How many miles? I would think the rocker arm end play might need attention if you're >40k mi. If you're properly skilled, it's any easy fix.

I don't think 'German Oil' or 'Liqi-Moly' will help :brad

I checked the rocker arm end play and they were with spec. On the left cylinder head, front to back there was a big differnece. I adjusted them to with a couple thousands of a mm and the ticking has gone away on that side. I am not sure if it was upgrading the cam chain tensioner or the rocker arm adjustment that did the trick. On the right, front to back was within 4 thousands of a mm, and they were within spec so I left them alone. I still have a loud ticking coming from the right cylinder head once the engine warms up. It does not tick when you start it. Only when it gets to operating temp.

Are you positive its coming from the valves/head? Loud ticking on the right could be from a worn throttle body butterfly shaft. Put your finger on the pulley while the bike is running and see if it stops ticking. If it does, Bing sells replacement shaft kits.

You can use a long handled screwdriver with the pointy end placed against the bike and the round end in your ear to help isolate noises.

I checked the rocker arm end play and they were with spec. On the left cylinder head, front to back there was a big differnece. I adjusted them to with a couple thousands of a mm and the ticking has gone away on that side. I am not sure if it was upgrading the cam chain tensioner or the rocker arm adjustment that did the trick. On the right, front to back was within 4 thousands of a mm, and they were within spec so I left them alone. I still have a loud ticking coming from the right cylinder head once the engine warms up. It does not tick when you start it. Only when it gets to operating temp.

I hope we didn't ignore the obvious. Are the valves set to spec? The fact that it gets louder with temp makes me think a valve is tight...

Valves

I adjusted the valves by using gravity and a long allen wrench. Very little drag on the feeler. Intake .15mm exhausts .30mm.

Back