• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Telelever front suspension

mort00175

Can anybody explain to me in shade tree mechanic terms the basic principle and advantage of having this thing under my front fairing.

The short version is that it provides a much stiffer front end while maintaining nice ride characteristics and steering that is light to the touch. The individual piece parts are cheap to build, and the system is easy to tune since a single shock absorber is the only adjustable item. There may be a weight penalty for the a-arm, but BMW has been fine tuning this over the years.....witness the differences between the first R1100RS models and the current bikes.

The performance details are nice. But my favorite part of this design is that it requires basically zero maintenance. No steering head bearings to adjust, lube, or replace, no fork oil to change, fork seals are pretty robust, etc etc.

Thanks that answers my ?

Good explanation and examples. I just knew the Bmw rode and handled better than previous bikes I have owned and ridden. I thought that there had to be some Physics, geometery figured into the engineering and enquiring minds want to know. Now I do Thanks, Bob "Morti" :clap

I ride on southern california area freeways. I did it years ago on a Gold Wing. I still can't believe the difference the telelever makes on curves especially. On cloverleafs on freeways the stability is unmistakable. In fact I don't take it for granted as it give me the opportunity to make mistakes, although obviously I don't do them intentionally. I can break in curves, if needed, shift in curves at any speed and the tracking is flawless. I attribute this exclusively to the telelever front end. I have to say too that last week I would have locked up at 70 mph had it not been for the ABS. The combination of ABS and telelever took the concern and danger out of making a safe stop. I'm convinced that I would never have another bike without telelever. It's just not worth it.

Back