• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RT Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

b25bsaboy

With my on going issues with the spongy brakes I believe I will be having to rebuild the master cylinder. Further inspection and reading what I can, I fail to see if the master cylinder body is a seperate part of the control lever or is it all one piece. If it is separate, can it be serviced leaving the twist throttle in place on the handlebar.

Has anyone documented with pictures how to take this apart, inspect and do a reassembly of the unit?

Not to be silly? Where?

Where the reservoir attaches to the main unit.

Undo the brake line.

remove 2 small screws.

reservoir and plunger assembly will detach.

make sure you get the right size rebuuild kit, there are different diameters.

you will need snap ring plyers.

you might loose brake fluid so watch your paint.

Where the reservoir attaches to the main unit.

Undo the brake line.

remove 2 small screws.

reservoir and plunger assembly will detach.

make sure you get the right size rebuuild kit, there are different diameters.

you will need snap ring plyers.

you might loose brake fluid so watch your paint.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Reservoir attaches to aluminum base with one screw. Screw may be a phillips or a star-type. Put a new "O" ring on the reservoir plastic part which fits into the base, Before putting the "O" ring on soak it in clean brake fluid for a few minutes. Also rub a bit of brake fluid into the cylindrical part o f the base where the "O" ring will slide. Otherwise it may not seal properly. Been there; done that. Leaked the first time I did the job. After pre-lubing the "O" ring; problems solved!

Back