• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

commuting by motorcycle makes you smarter

LuckyGrownup

Am I reading this article right ? Does riding a [Yamaha] motorcycle to work make you smarter ?

your brain on motorcycle is better.

How come BMW is not sponsoring brain research like this ?

They could probably prove that riding a BMW motorcycle to work can increase cognitive function and reduce the risk of Alzheimer disease.

:bikes

Hey, I commute every day, and my beagles acknowledge that I am smarter everyday! Nice, rainy ride in this am...bike needed a wash anyway. Smart and efficient.

Not surprising. . . .one of their conclusions is that driving a car doesnt do the same for us, BTW. We already knew we are smarter than everyone else, right?
Of course smarter is a relative thing, and if you start pretty low down on the scale, riding a motorcycle might just make some of us less dysfunctional.

Speeding citations notwithstanding, I dont think this is related to Einstein's theory of Special Relativity (which predicts that time slows down as you go REALLY FAST) . . .Motorsicklin stimulates your senses more than driving a car, so you are using more of your brain while riding (one of the reasons we fear cage drivers, right?). Stress also improves brain function, as does meditation. .. . and practicing complex tasks improves and maintains brain function.

And of course, riding and MAINTAINING a motorcycle is especially good for learning new vocabulary words, and allows us to practice some of the ones we don't get to use elsewhere.

Thanks for the link.

I find that just going for a nice ride in the country, the mountains--anywhere out of town--keeps my mind pretty occupied, too. Challenged, in fact.

That is, it must be making me smarter ... just as the article suggests.

Smarter IMHO by avoiding the dangers of commuting, too. Hard to see how doing that on a motorcycle can be called smart. Or any fun.

I mean, it's Japan in the article. Is there any other kind of riding there besides commuting? That is, can one suppose the article authors are aware of any other kind of riding?

Back