• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What the heck are 'chicken strips'?

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
And I don't mean those delicious morsels of fowl that are patiently waiting under heat lamps at the corner gas station. So, what is meant by chicken strips?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IQyjpOk8900" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lurk Uh, a little help here? Can you provide some context to the question??

Edit...ahhh, thanks Shag!

And I don't mean those delicious morsels of fowl that are patiently waiting under heat lamps at the corner gas station. So, what is meant by chicken strips?

To directly answer your question. "Chicken Strips" are the unused strips of tread closest to the sidewalls. The width of this section of the tire indicates how "chicken" the rider is to lean his bike over. More agressive riders willl wear this area away before the center of the tire is worn out.

To directly answer your question. "Chicken Strips" are the unused strips of tread closest to the sidewalls. The width of this section of the tire indicates how "chicken" the rider is to lean his bike over. More agressive riders willl wear this area away before the center of the tire is worn out.

Around here, it's the more fortunate riders who live near roads with good corners that wear them off before the centers. We have way too much flat and straight to cover between home and the twisty roads to ever seriously make much of an encroachment ito the far reaches of the tread. I alwyas figure that when I get into the mountains and get to use up the edges its like getting free tire mileage.

Of every 100 riders I know there are a couple who actually wear the edges before the center. They do track days and ride in the mountains most of the time. Of the other 98 about ten claim they do but don't, and about ten of us say, Huh? :)

Actually I call them margins for error.

It's great to know I always have more lean than I need - when I really need it.

Bad technique can lead to no "chicken strips" and crashes!

Reg Pridmore taught me that years ago :wow

Voni

Of every 100 riders I know there are a couple who actually wear the edges before the center. They do track days and ride in the mountains most of the time. ...............)

:wave

Plan on leaving another set of tires on the roads in NC next week, sidewalls first! :dance

I wear the edge before the center, but I kinda cheat by trailering from Raleigh to the mountains and then riding! But I actually get more riding in this way since I will ride till dark because I can leisurely drive home in the car.

And yes, riding like that does result in sometimes lowsiding, but lowsiding doesn't really hurt. Get up, brush off, and repaint the bike when you get home.

Last edited:
The "Chicken Strip" is for the sport performance rider what the "Iron Butt" license plate frame is for the long distance rider: Something to brag about.:thumb
For a true motorcycle enthusiast, never one is of any relevance.

I am not concerned about the rider who has chicken strips, but rather the rider who cannot USE his chicken strip.

I've seen too many riders go into a corner too hot, then not make the turn because they were scared to lean the bike over. If they had leaned hard, used that virgin area of the tire, they would have made the turn. THAT is the issue to me. Have the skill, and use it if or when it is needed.

A low side always beats hitting a guard rail.

And with those cylinders sticking out the sides, sometimes one can't lean the bike far enough to get to the tires edge either. I managed to put scuff marks on my RSs cylinder guards and yet still had a very slight margin of CS on the tires. The tire profile will be a factor in that too.

I do recall failing to trust the tires once many years ago when I was fairly new to street bikes. Didn't end up with anything bad happening, but I nearly ran it off a curve. Also learned about the effects of braking in a corner from that incident.

Some fried chicken strips on an F800ST after a few laps at Virginia International Raceway:

DSCN0153.JPG

When I see that sort of wear from a bike ridden on a track I am impressed, a bit envious and echo the "atta boy" sentiment. When I see it on a bike that was ridden solely on the street I think "idiot".

Atta boy!

I am not concerned about the rider who has chicken strips, but rather the rider who cannot USE his chicken strip.

I've seen too many riders go into a corner too hot, then not make the turn because they were scared to lean the bike over. If they had leaned hard, used that virgin area of the tire, they would have made the turn. THAT is the issue to me. Have the skill, and use it if or when it is needed.

A low side means you never gave up and used everything the bike/tires had to give . Hitting a guard rail, while upright, means you gave up.

Fixed it for you:D

Back