• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2on1: Road Trip USA

Thanks for the report and great pictures.
How do you like your new riding gear?

Hi Lee!!
Thats just a few. All together we made more than 5000 pictures and more than 700 video clips. More pictures you'll find on my blog site.
The suit fits well but it's not as warm as my old Dainese was. But thats no problem. For eastern Europe I would like to remove the BMW logo. Maybe it's better if the people don't know what I'm riding (ie. room prices). ;)

It took several months to start working on the video. I wasn't able to put all those good memories in a short video - because it's always too short. Anyway ... here's are the first 11 minutes (from L.A. to Fort Worth, Texas).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fl9mhd2qsPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@Holly: We're looking forward to meet you in France and we hope you're ok! Maybe my wife will ride on her own bike. ;)

Last edited:
Great video and the music seems perfect for it. I can hardly wait to see the rest.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing you both in Champagne! I just bought a small bike for Europe. Tomorrow I drop it off at the shipper's. They will truck it to Florida and then it goes by sea to Germany. I'm leaving it at Stefan Knopf's for the FIM rallies. That way I'll have one there that I know I can ride.

Holly

Sorry for my late answer, I was sick.

Yesterday I finished part one and changed the link above. Hope you like it.
Now I will start working on part two (along the east coast, from Florida to Canada).

@Holly: you got mail :)

@Lee: Thx! Hope you and your familiy are fine. ;)

Sorry for the long delay! Yesterday I've finished part 2 (more or less, there always things you want to change). Hope you like it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/azHzrKVjyXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@Holly: the train tickets for july are already bought! ;)

Another great video Dave. I'll let the Rounders know that Chip made it into this one!

Funny, I was just checking out Eurorail passes this morning. I'm in BC waiting for the birth of my 8th grandchild. They want to go to a conference in Rome the first week of July and want granny along to help babysit the 3 year old as well as the new baby. So I might be taking trains from Rome to Heidelberg. My bike should be enroute to Heidelberg now. It was quite the effort getting it there. Stefan had a container going from Orlando Florida but I couldn't transport the bike there because you can't transport through the US for export. The fact that is wasn't being exported, but is licenced and insured in Ontario didn't seem to make a difference. So it had to be ridden there the first week of March, which is not riding weather in Canada. A friend trailered it to Tenessee for me, and I rode it south, in some barely above freezing weather. Got it safely to Orlando and then Stefan had all sorts of trouble. His container broke and he tried to ship from Miami instead, but they were sticking to the no export rules so I think the new container finally went from Savannah. Good thing there's lots of time for the bike to make it there! Looking forward to seeing you both in France!

What a great Ride Report. As someone else mentioned, seeing our USA through your eyes is a real treat.
Thank you, I really enjoyed your photos and story. :thumb

Holly, I'm sorry it was too late to tell you I've two other contacts for shipping. Stefan Knopf is a great guy, but he wasn't flexible enough for me (cause he has only a container for Orlando). Maybe next time it's easier with these two comanies:
- http://www.intime-ham.com
- http://www.gravelroadlogistics.com/

Do I've to be a member of FIM to camp there?? For Poland the wanted about 200 Euros each person. :doh

bmwrider88, we've never been in the U.S. before and you can imagine how amazing and interesting it was. Sometimes a little bit weird and irritating too. I would say we've experienced all kinds of feelings. After all those warnings from friends and people we met on the road I'm not sure if we only had luck but after all it was a great trip, we met great people and the hospitality was awesome and made us speechless some times. But next time we'll camp more often to save money. :D

Back