• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding the Blue Ridge

When crowds are at the Dragon the lot is always full. The show there is probably the best thing about the Dragon..
Timing- well a lot of the out of towners come there specifically to play on it because they read about it someplace. Often whole clubs from urban N places or OH, IL,,,And their start time is around 7:30 AM. Problem with that is that there is still some damp on many of the curves most of the year at that morning hour.
As it has gotten better known, crowds go up along with accidents and fatalities and that's what's drawing law enforcement there. 2 transportable accidents per weekend day on average now, almost all the result of rider error / lack of skill though a couple well known ones by center line crossers coming other way..
Like I said, there are plenty of better play roads here. The Snake, for example, can give your skills a better workout- lot of switchbacks on slopes many with gravel washed in early in the year when rains are more common. A good place to tune up for riding the Alps passes. Also so many unamed and unknown roads that just exploring can yield some very nice stuff..

My favorite stretch of the BRP...

... has got to be the 10 miles or so through the Peaks of Otter area (south of the rest area/visitor centre). The pavement is perfect and the hills and curves are sublime!
Whenever I'm on the Parkway, I look forward in anticipation of the Peaks of Otter.

Deal's Gap has it's time and place and Memorial Day weekend isn't either one. There are just too many people to make riding the road enjoyable. There is too much watching out for the other guy to have any fun.

As a side note, picture this: the parking lot at the Crossroads of Time, it's hot and I'm hanging out in the shade, cooling off with a coke and watching the goings-on. Sport bikes are ripping up the slope northbound towards the state line.

Out of the din surrounding me I hear the distinct sound of a helmet hitting then rolling along the asphalt. I turn my head immediately and see that it was no accident. A guy has tossed his own lid and is now cursing his girlfriend: "this is the last time I EVER take you riding with me!" She replies with a sobbing voice:"you never pay me any attention. All you want to do is hang out with your friends."

Now, I'm a single guy so I have to struggle to keep myself from howling at this poor sap who has obviously put himself in this unenviable situation. Coca-cola nearly spews from my nose. I think to myself (which is my favorite way): there's not a chance in hell that I'm riding on Deal's Gap this day. I got on my RT, got the hell outta there, and headed along 28 towards Bryson City and Sylva and hopped onto the BRP.

Peace. Solitude. No tumbling helmets. No nagging girlfriends. Just heaven on earth!

Last edited:
I've ridden the Skyline Drive/BRP about 10 times. It was the highlight of my season when I lived back east. Speed limit of 45 mph (has it changed?) was broken within about 30 seconds of entry and stayed broken until I exited the Parkway in Cherokee TN.

A great road on which to wear out a set of tires. Had the odd interview with rangers but I rationalized any tickets I received as the cost of admission. We used to call it Disneyland for Motorcycles.

Point of interest: Any time I came upon a long line of cars driving slowly, they were inevitably being held up by a Gold Wing or two.

I recall getting the finger from a bunch of lollygaggers on Harleys.
I passed them, where it safe to do so, and a car appeared from around the next curve when I was about halfway past the potato-mashers. I did what anyone with a decent bike would do. I got on the gas and gave 'er. No problems at all.
A little further down the road I pulled into an overlook and shortly thereafter, along came the Harleys. They saw me in the overlook and gave me the one-finger salute.
Only one thing to do from there on: saddle-up and do it again!

Last edited:
I admit to occasionally passing the loud piped bastitches in places that might be questionable at times. Or at least by them.:nyah

At our annual Triumph rally in Maggie Valley, we have been known to pass them en-mass , and that really makes them nervous. So much road wiggling and so little riding skill on their part.

I recall getting the finger from a bunch of lollygaggers on Harley's.
I passed them, where it safe to do so, and a car appeared from around the next curve when I was about halfway past the potato-mashers. I did what anyone with a decent bike would do. I got on the gas and gave 'er. No problems at all.
A little further down the road I pulled into an overlook and shortly thereafter, here came the Harleys. They saw me in the overlook and gave me the one-finger salute.
Only one thing to do from there on: do it again!

Bullet, I believe that was the 20% wave you saw. :brow

Yeah. It takes all kinds.
I laughed it off. Anyone who would flip the bird to someone with obviously superior riding skills and bike has got to be a complete moron.
Why get angry with an ignoramus? Pass them, twice, and get on with the ride!

Last edited:
Blue Ridge Next Week!

Heading down next week, weather looks good. Firist time so I am looking forward to the ride. Should be there mid week hoping to aviod the crowds anything I should not miss?

Heading down next week, weather looks good. Firist time so I am looking forward to the ride. Should be there mid week hoping to aviod the crowds anything I should not miss?

Be sure to check out Mabry Mill and the Meadows of Dan, VA area. Nice country store there along with a neat candy factory.

Peaks of Otter (approx. mi. 85 - 100) is the smoothest pavement with the best mix of curves and slopes. IMHO.
After your trip, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Down in N. Carolina, the Craggy Gardens area is also very nice (approx. mi. 340 - 350).
Anything from the high point (approx. mi. 430) to the bottom end is outrageously curvy and extremely entertaining.
It's difficult to pinpoint a favourite stretch of the BRP. It's all good.
Pick a happy, fun pace and stick with it.
In my experience, the only Rangers you're likely to encounter are those going the other way (impossible to predict) or those who tend to lurk near speed reduction zones.
Always consider that another rider might be pushing the limits of tire adhesion in the opposite direction so keep within your lane.
Ride safely, have fun and watch out for finger-waving slow poke Harley guys.

I'll look forward to reading about your trip. It's always good to hear the response from someone who's just taken their first ride on the BRP.
Here's a pic of Mabry Mill (mi. 175+/-) to give you an idea of what to expect.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• 05.08.09.3.jpg
    05.08.09.3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 28
Back