Thread: 2007 r1200gs help wanted

the-oz-slider
    Its water and in my case, exacerbated by a poor job by a dealer when the module was replaced under recall.....the O ring was crimped when it wasnt installed properly and that let the water in....sooooo I guess it wasnt really water if you want to look at it that way, but poor workmanship that caused the problem really....Oh and I almost forgot...dont forget lousy design by the manufacturer, but Im pretty sure the real cause wasnt water, no, not water.......

Well, 155etc.
    I live in one of the driest climates in the world, ride in dry places, and had not had any water on mine in maybe 6 months.
    It's kept indoors, where there is no humidity or water.
    There was no trace of water anywhere near my fpc, around the fuel pump, in the well underneath the fpc, and the gasket was 100% intact; in fact, I had to use a screwdriver to pull the unit up and out.
    And it ran for maybe 6 months since the last time there was rain on the bike.
    The climate is so dry here, that I have had scratches on vehicles to bare metal, with silvery bare metal exposed to the elements, for 5 years, with no rust. Where, after 5 years the bare metal is still as silvery as when it was originally scratched.
    So where did this water that ruined the fpc come from? Do you think my bike was sneaking itself into the shower when I wasn't looking?
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    BMW recalled all these modules quite some time back. Maybe they will still stand up for yours. Water was the issue, so a better mousetrap was made, a sealed one! BMW engineers, where do they get'em? Randy
    There was more than one recall and more than one issue. There was an early recall of a small number of bikes due to either a faulty O-ring or faulty O-ring installation, forget which. I remember the comments that said something like "if you have the right colored O-ring you are OK". The bad O-ring let water get where it shouldn't be.

The larger and later recall was supposedly due to heat or a bad heat sink or something like that. The corrosion sometimes found on the outside of the FPC was incidental to the failure. Or maybe corrosion contributed to whatever the problem was that caused the heat issues.

As for the take-it-to-the-bank actual cause.... BMW is like Apple. The people who know won't say and the people who say don't know.

And BMW did not recall ALL the modules. The module on my '05 GS, for example, was never recalled. And so far it hasn't failed.

You are right about that Marchy.
    I did just consult with my electronics expert. He sees no evidence of any water infiltration with regard to my bike, but indicates that his possible cause, or suspicion has to do with heat issues, or heat dissipation.
    But it certainly can be the case that different ones fail for different reasons.
    The real cause, perhaps, that the part is not good enough for the purpose for which it was intended.
    I have also heard of a number of failures of the new style black, powder coated unit.
    Marchy, now that you have publicly declared that yours (an 05?) has not failed, is it not possible that you have jinxed yourself?
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Y now that you have publicly declared that yours (an 05?) has not failed, is it not possible that you have jinxed yourself?
    dc
    Heh! I first inoculated myself by learning how to do an emergency in-the-field bypass. maybe it's because I learned that long ago that I've not had any issues. I keep the instructions (which color wire goes where) for the FPC bypass next to the similar instructions for bypassing the side stand switch should that go bad. Be Prepared!

That's the rule with the bypass or the spare. Carry it, and you will never need it.
    dc