Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Close Calls

Close Calls

For pics of "almost" tragedies.....

No injuries, Montana, fell asleep......

Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

amazing that noone was hurt. Makes one question the thinking that went into the design of the rail. I thought that those things were to prevent one from greater disaster on the other side of the rail. Instead the rail itself becomes the real culprit. I think that many places have moved toward a design that prevents impailing the motorist. I wonder what was going on in that driver's mind as all that metal was cascading across the passenger side. Talk about "Jesus Take The Wheel"! - Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I think he was a college kid heading to school. Must have been an interesting conversation with Mom and Dad after they were sure he was uninjured.
    Kevin Huddy

Dang, scary to think about what could have happened.

Looks like a speared whale
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Bastards.jpgMoving at a "spirited" pace & leading a FGIF ride, when these tick infested critters darted out in front of me. Godzilla will get them for that...I'm sure.

Roadblocked !

Riding up a dead-end road in Sequoia NP, I had to brake hard to avoid these.

There was a fire to the North and cattle were being moved down the mountain to safety.

When first stopped only about 5 or 6 cows were spread across the road, by the time the photo was snapped the rest of em came from behind and tried to leap-cow the ones stopped in front.

I turned and rolled down hill off to the side to get a better photo when 2 dogs leapt out of the brush at me. 2 cowboys called em off, then told me that they were moving the cattle a short distance on pavement to get to the trail that I was now blocking.

The dogs had put me into adrenalin overload, and I didn't stick around to get a better photo.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Makes one question the thinking that went into the design of the rail. Bob
    That was the first thing that came to my mind.

We recently had a near collision at a cloverleaf just west of our home city, and I later researched the design and discovered it's one of the most dangerous types that exists. The merge lanes are just a few hundred metres long.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    That was the first thing that came to my mind.

We recently had a near collision at a cloverleaf just west of our home city, and I later researched the design and discovered it's one of the most dangerous types that exists. The merge lanes are just a few hundred metres long.
    I really dislike those short merge lanes. Even worse are the shared lanes for on ramps and off ramps. What were those highway engineers thinking?
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT gone but not forgotten
    14 Victory Crossroads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
    I really dislike those short merge lanes. Even worse are the shared lanes for on ramps and off ramps. What were those highway engineers thinking?
    Merging lanes are always a problem no matter how long they are. Maybe the extra short ones were the bureaucrats trying to save money.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    Merging lanes are always a problem no matter how long they are. Maybe the extra short ones were the bureaucrats trying to save money.
    Merging lanes have become a much greater problem since as a society we stopped really training people how to drive. Many drivers simply don't know how to properly merge. Matching speeds and blending in works. Subbornly maintaining speed and line and stopping fail to work most of the time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Merging lanes have become a much greater problem since as a society we stopped really training people how to drive. Many drivers simply don't know how to properly merge. Matching speeds and blending in works. Subbornly maintaining speed and line and stopping fail to work most of the time.
    It might be interesting to actually take a drivers ed course and see what is being shown to the kids today.
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT gone but not forgotten
    14 Victory Crossroads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
    It might be interesting to actually take a drivers ed course and see what is being shown to the kids today.
    When Drivers Ed stopped being a required or highly recommended elective course in most (not all) public high schools, it was left to the fairly high priced private driving schools to teach the masses. But in all but the most urban of areas such driving schools appear to be few and far between, and for the most part out of the price range of many middle class parents. So drivers ed is now often Mom, Dad, or good old uncle Al doing the best they can.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I rarely see merging traffic even think about yielding to the collective flow. "I'm coming in, make room" seems to be the new normal.

Austins downtown lower deck of I-35 near UT has some of the shortest merge lanes I have ever attempted and the scene of many a bent fender. I'll drive on the service road for several miles to avoid the challenge provided with a 1958 designed roadway with no room for any upgrading.

Yeah, no training provided typically anymore...we at least got to scare the pants of our high school drivers ed teachers.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

In the past three days I've ridden through Billings, Sioux Falls (morning rush hours), Kansas City, St Louis (morning rush hours) and Nashville. Merging is now viewed as a test of wills. Also started seeing big rigs acting as passing lane patrols. I'm headed to Birmingham for the Barber Vintage Days and have limited time to make the trip, so I'm sticking to the interstates. Sleeping in tomorrow so I miss the Birmingham rush hour. Crossing the Mississippi is always a disappointing event.
    Kevin Huddy